Dorkfest 2018
SageGenesis Offline

Dorkfest 2018
It may seem early but we need to start planning the date. My new job has to juggle a lot of employee's wishes so the sooner we pick possible dates, the sooner we might get one.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that this year we need to be prepared for a smaller group of players. We almost certainly can't please everyone.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
03-11-2017 08:07:12
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nar Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Dorkfest 2018
pfff, wow. yeah, this is early XD

i'm afraid i have absolutely no dates of my own to contribute atm. i'm attached to the school holidays again, whatever they are specifically, so if i head out anywhere for a couple of weeks, it'll be then. i've been thinking of hitting up canada again this year, but josh might be thinking of coming out this way, which would be a bit of a confounding factor Wink the best i can do is keep y'all informed as my shit develops.

i suppose we could at any rate immediately exclude the traditional Lowlands weekend and the Gentse Feesten(?)...

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
03-11-2017 09:47:41
goldylox Offline
Parental Control Group

My kids have their holiday from 20/07 till 31/08. I'll be gone 2 or 3 weeks during that period.
I'll have to tell my work when I want free during summer before 01-02-2018, so I'll probably know my availability soon.

I'll let you know when I know for sure Smile

Miew mriewiew mrrr mriew prrrr!!!
04-11-2017 21:01:06
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

(03-11-2017 08:07:12)SageGenesis Wrote:  I'm not exaggerating when I say that this year we need to be prepared for a smaller group of players. We almost certainly can't please everyone.

(03-11-2017 09:47:41)nar Wrote:  i suppose we could at any rate immediately exclude the traditional Lowlands weekend and the Gentse Feesten(?)...

If we cant include everyone anyway, why would we exclude certain dates? Let's open that spreadsheet again and just see who can't make it when?

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
04-11-2017 21:42:37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wolfy Offline
Posting Freak

(04-11-2017 21:42:37)JLT* Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 08:07:12)SageGenesis Wrote:  I'm not exaggerating when I say that this year we need to be prepared for a smaller group of players. We almost certainly can't please everyone.

(03-11-2017 09:47:41)nar Wrote:  i suppose we could at any rate immediately exclude the traditional Lowlands weekend and the Gentse Feesten(?)...

If we cant include everyone anyway, why would we exclude certain dates? Let's open that spreadsheet again and just see who can't make it when?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

There you go, spreadsheet! Updated for 2018 Smile

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
05-11-2017 19:44:49
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jazzper-11 Offline
Posting Freak

Ingevuld, maar uiteraard kan het in de loop der tijd veranderen. Dus hoe eerder we iets vast kunnen zetten, hoe beter. =)

World's biggest squirrel!
05-11-2017 21:28:19
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

Same for me. Ik kan er omheen plannen, maar des te eerder ingevuld met wat we nu al weten des te beter.

robindevoh.com - NaNoWriMo prep & onwards, writin's the main topic.
05-11-2017 22:46:17
scroipt Offline
Posting Freak

(05-11-2017 21:28:19)Jazzper-11 Wrote:  Ingevuld, maar uiteraard kan het in de loop der tijd veranderen.

Inderdaad, vakantie staat er idd niet bij, maar goed, eerste inschatting

`Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là' --Pierre-Simon, Marquis de Laplace
05-11-2017 22:51:31
SageGenesis Offline

The powers that be have given me a date:

June 22, 23, 24

That's it. That's the date we can game.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
12-12-2017 13:12:57
nar Offline
Posting Freak

cool! will note it down and do my very, very best to be available ^^

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
12-12-2017 14:04:21
wolfy Offline
Posting Freak

It has been noted down.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
12-12-2017 14:41:48
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

I'll be there.

12-12-2017 18:39:09
Jazzper-11 Offline
Posting Freak

Noted.

World's biggest squirrel!
12-12-2017 19:05:00
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

(12-12-2017 13:12:57)SageGenesis Wrote:  The powers that be have given me a date:

June 22, 23, 24

That's it. That's the date we can game.

Seriously? Just like that? This topic has been quiet for over a month. Half the people didn't even fill in the form yet. Since when is this the way we decide on a weekend? There wasn't even a deadline set. I'm actually pretty pissed off.

12-12-2017 20:03:10
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Geef dan tenminste iets van uitleg over waarom dat t enige weekend is..... Want ik voel me zo behoorlijk gepasseerd.

12-12-2017 20:08:12
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

I'm actually pretty sure the reason is because that's the only weekend Arik's able to take off. Given the opening post and the rather definitive sounding post alluding to the powers that be.

I'm 100% sure there was no intent to pass anyone by, though.

12-12-2017 22:23:27
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Perhaps, but even then there's 4 weeks of vacation per year he's legally allowed to take. If that's the only weekend in the 'summer', why not May, April, October?

I really hate the matter-of-fact, done deal, no discussion, no explanation part of this announcement.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017 22:42:49 by JLT*.)
12-12-2017 22:42:17
SageGenesis Offline

(12-12-2017 20:03:10)JLT* Wrote:  Seriously? Just like that? This topic has been quiet for over a month. Half the people didn't even fill in the form yet. Since when is this the way we decide on a weekend? There wasn't even a deadline set. I'm actually pretty pissed off.

"My new job has to juggle a lot of employee's wishes so the sooner we pick possible dates, the sooner we might get one."

Ik heb heel hard moeten lobbyen om uberhaupt een datum te kunnen krijgen die een beetje in de zomer-periode ligt. Aanvankelijk wouden ze me een weekje in april geven.

Ik weet dat het plotseling is, maar ik heb dit antwoord ook nog maar net. Als deze datum niet goed uitkomt vind ik dat heel erg, maar een betere krijg ik simpelweg niet.

Edit:
[quote]
(12-12-2017 22:42:17)JLT* Wrote:  Perhaps, but even then there's 4 weeks of vacation per year he's legally allowed to take. If that's the only weekend in the 'summer', why not May, April, October?

Omdat de Google Doc alleen over Juni, Juli, Augustus gaat. Als men liever april had gewild dan had men dat eerder moeten aangeven. Dat ik deze datum heb is eigenlijk echt gewoon mazzel, en ik kan het niet maken om nu te zeggen dat ik toch liever een ander wil.

12-12-2017 22:42:50
scroipt Offline
Posting Freak

Noted.
(Looks like only 23+24 then unless I can pull something amazing out of my ass. Will keep _everyone_ posted >_<)

`Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là' --Pierre-Simon, Marquis de Laplace
12-12-2017 22:43:10
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Remind me again why we are so hung up on the summer?

12-12-2017 22:44:55
SageGenesis Offline

(Zie ook de edit van vorige post.)

Toen ik de post maakte begin november was het willecht vroeg in het (dorkfest) jaar, maar dat was wel met reden. We moesten toen nu beginnen met plannen en dan maar hopen dat we een geschikte datum krijgen. Mijn manager heeft zo'n 40 werknemers te jongleren die allemaal vakantie willen tijdens de drukste periode van het jaar, en dat gaat gewoon niet lukken. Ik heb zelf geen kinderen en dus totaal geen voorrang. Ik heb wekenlang moeten uitleggen en opbouwen waarom dit zo belangrijk is voor mij en ik mag heel dankbaar zijn dat ik een datum in de juni-augustus periode heb gekregen.

Dus dit is het.

Is het plotseling? Ja, want ik hoor het ook net. En mijn manager kan het geen fuck schelen wat 10 vrienden van mij denken hierover.

Is het opgelegd? Ja, zie vorige note.

Is dit wat het is? Ja, eigenlijk wel. Ik kan heel misschien vragen of het toch april of zo mag worden, maar dan moet ik wel heel erg zeker en heel erg snel weten of dit de voorkeur heeft. Hier kan ik dus echt niet mee aankomen ergens over een maand of zo, dit moet nu gelijk geregeld worden, anders staat het gewoon vast. Mijn werk is geen democratie die rekening houdt met al jullie voorkeuren.

12-12-2017 23:48:47
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

Summer is traditional and has been when we do Dorkfest for 10 years. I wouldn't call it being hung up on it, I'd call it the natural default way of thinking. Also there's Ben being limited to school vacations, of which the summer is one, unless I'm thinking about that ass-backwardsly (for example, I'm not sure the mentioned weekend falls in the official summer vacation, I'm stating this more as a 'why summer was the main focus' thing). If I'm not, doesn't that also work out for you? Again, I might be so very, very wrong here.

It was known from the start though that we (read: Arik's availability due to work-related limitations) might not be able to accommodate everyone, something you seemed to accept yourself in a post earlier in the topic.

I'm not entirely sure why this is a hate-inducing situation other than the way in which it came to pass. But then you mention considering dates outside of the summer. Is that just so it then isn't a matter-of-fact, done-deal situation? Can't you make that weekend? Because if you can, I'm not sure I understand the problem Hmm Mostly because due to Arik's initial post and this being debated in 2017 (such early!) I kind of expected a hammer to drop at some point.

I happen to have the luck that whenever we plan to do Dorkfest, I can tell my work to fuck themselves, I won't be there for a few days surrounding that weekend and my manager will go "ok dude" and press "accept time off". I know that's not a luxury everyone has.

So whatever is decided here, be it the weekend Arik mentioned or a different weekend, I'll just, y'know, be there.

(note: no ill intent whatsoever, just trying to understand how the frustration came to be (given my differeing perspective, possibly) and more importantly, how to get past that -- together -- and on to Dorkfest awesomocity)

13-12-2017 00:09:40
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

No dorkfest awesomocity for me, I'm afraid. That's practically the only weekend in he year I really cant work around. Last day before break on Friday, Raaf's birthday Saturday, fly to Boston for work on Sunday.

13-12-2017 09:19:41
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

Damn Sad

13-12-2017 09:26:05
mirla Offline
Posting Freak

Misschien heb ik me er gewoon niet mee te bemoeien, maar als Arik het nou gewoon in juni voorbereidt (omdat dat de enige week is die hij vrij kan krijgen [los van dat ik dat persoonlijk een rare constructie vind die volgens mij niet eens mag]) en jullie een weekend plannen voor het daadwerkelijke spel als iedereen kan? Ik begrijp niet zo goed waarom er vrij moet zijn (meer dan de vrijdag) voor een weekendspelletje...
13-12-2017 09:31:17

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;