Summer campaign
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Summer campaign
Note that these abilities are weakened, they could potentially matter more.
23-04-2017 19:18:01
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Here goes, some info about my character.

Htep Sekhem, High Elf Charlatan Thief. (Sekhem for friends, would he have any.)

Htep Sekhem is ancient, born into the wealthy Htep family when the cities of the Cradle River to the West were still Elven. No less than three major human empires have sacked these cities in the 700 years since, and each established their own dynasties. Thus leaving the Elves there in the minority, their wealth gone.

Htep Sekhem has seemingly unnatural skin: Ivory white, cold and hard to the touch. Around his completely white-in-white eyes he has tattoo-like magical markings in the shape of Horus’s Eye.

Htep Sekhem does not care about politics. Despite his longevity, he mostly ignores the fickle changes in Human rule and could not tell you who was king when.

Htep Sekhem doesn’t seem to care about others. This is untrue. It is just that the short lived humans aren’t as interesting as the permanency of treasure.

Htep Sekhem has been called a grave robber. A tomb raider. A desecrater of holy places. There are some people in Parsa who call Htep Sekhem a criminal. These people are wrong. Sekhem has never broken any laws. He retrieves by commission or order of men greater than himself. Sekhem always has written proof of these orders.

Htep Sekhem is pragmatic. Why should he not keep and sell some of the minor items these expeditions provide? Who cares that an unnamed dead human no longer has a silver goblet at his feet? Or that Sekhem devises a kingly name for that human and sells the goblet for ten times the amount it is worth?

Htep Sekhem is a businessman. Perhaps not the most respected of businessmen, but a businessman nonetheless.

Htep Sekhem mostly works with the eccentric owner of a shop of trinkets and treasures in Parsa and makes a profit by selling to rich folk who do not quite understand the difference between a relic and a trinket. Relics have a history, written evidence of greatness.

Htep Sekhem provides hard evidence of an item’s worth for any that desire such a thing. What humans consider hard evidence is easy to invent.

Htep Sekhem has a strict, if perhaps somewhat unorthodox, code of honor.

Htep Sekhem will never betray or abandon colleagues. He firmly believes in sharing the spoils with those who join him to face the dangers of his profession. He will not willingly work with anyone who does not share these views, if he can help it.

Htep Sekhem has made his fortune seven times.

Htep Sekhem has lost his fortune eight times.

Htep Sekhem was an accomplished chariot racer, but the sport went out of fashion a few centuries ago.

Htep sekhem is not a scout. He tries to leave the dying to others.

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
23-04-2017 21:12:39
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

Grin
23-04-2017 21:20:11
SageGenesis Online

As a general note to everybody: if you can, be trained in stealth. Nobody in our party is a heavily armored clank so we could attempt ninja'ing our way through this.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
23-04-2017 21:49:24
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Done. Tongue

23-04-2017 21:51:04
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Online

Hakim the Bastard.

Hakim is the offspring of a human woman and an elven father, although he knows neither of them. His mother died when he was very young and his father he never met or heard anything about. Over the years he has been a slave, a gambler, a camel thief, a burglar, a peddler of fake jewelry, and many other odd and unsavory jobs.

Unlike most half-elves, Hakim's appearance is not pleasing to the eye but subtly off. The ears are too large and the wrong shape. Elf-thin bones connect to knobbly human joints. A nose that can't decide if it wants to be large or thin.

Hakim is not a pious man but he does pray. He prays to the gods of elves and men. And to those of the dwarves, the orcs, and the old titans who forged the world. He prays to the stars, the spirits, Lady Fortuna, the demon lords, and the efreet who dance to the rhythm of the hot desert wind. He prays to ancient kings and mythical heroes and protector saints. He even prays to philosophies which lack deity-figures. Because if you are Hakim the Bastard, you need all the help you can get.

And somehow his throw-shit-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach seems to work. Hakim was granted boons and minor miracles. Did some god answer? Did the sheer quantity of negligible divine attention add up to something real? Or is some trickster spirit having a bit of fun? Hakim doesn't know and he doesn't care. He has magic. And that's his ticket to obtaining real, lasting wealth.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
23-04-2017 22:36:24
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

(23-04-2017 22:36:24)SageGenesis Wrote:  Hakim the Bastard.

Yikes

24-04-2017 06:11:37
Trizzy Offline

Sorry voor de weinige communicatie :S Ik was 't weekend druk in huis en nu 2 daagjes naar Cardiff (of all places). Human Bard it is! Ik zal proberen later deze week nog even met Eelco te overleggen over hoe en wat precies.
24-04-2017 06:15:06
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

Ha! welkom!

(23-04-2017 22:36:24)SageGenesis Wrote:  Hakim the Bastard.

Hakim is the offspring of a human woman and an elven father, although he knows neither of them. His mother died when he was very young and his father he never met or heard anything about. Over the years he has been a slave, a gambler, a camel thief, a burglar, a peddler of fake jewelry, and many other odd and unsavory jobs.

Unlike most half-elves, Hakim's appearance is not pleasing to the eye but subtly off. The ears are too large and the wrong shape. Elf-thin bones connect to knobbly human joints. A nose that can't decide if it wants to be large or thin.

Hakim is not a pious man but he does pray. He prays to the gods of elves and men. And to those of the dwarves, the orcs, and the old titans who forged the world. He prays to the stars, the spirits, Lady Fortuna, the demon lords, and the efreet who dance to the rhythm of the hot desert wind. He prays to ancient kings and mythical heroes and protector saints. He even prays to philosophies which lack deity-figures. Because if you are Hakim the Bastard, you need all the help you can get.

And somehow his throw-shit-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach seems to work. Hakim was granted boons and minor miracles. Did some god answer? Did the sheer quantity of negligible divine attention add up to something real? Or is some trickster spirit having a bit of fun? Hakim doesn't know and he doesn't care. He has magic. And that's his ticket to obtaining real, lasting wealth.

This is brilliant! Grin
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2017 13:26:58 by Tiamat.)
24-04-2017 13:26:15
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

How would preparing a two week expedition look? Do we just spend 1000 on carts, food and guards?

25-04-2017 13:32:21
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

(25-04-2017 13:32:21)JLT* Wrote:  How would preparing a two week expedition look? Do we just spend 1000 on carts, food and guards?

Small correction; it's two weeks to Cragmore. Thereafter it may be still some days to the lake. The actual duration of the expedition is unclear. Hirelings do not normally share in any treasure and will probably want to be paid up front for at least 2 months for the return trip. They're also unlikely to take on especially hazardous taks.

I also don't know what you'll need exactly, but I want you to think of it up front. Parsa is a big city and Cragmore is a small town. Most of the things you could think of you could get in Parsa many things in the PhB should also be available in Cragmore.

edit: some minor
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 14:20:37 by Tiamat.)
25-04-2017 14:18:34
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

The Immortal, the Explorer and the homeless Holy Man all seem hirelings themselves? Will one of the PC's ( Tristan? Robin?) be running this operation, or are we NPC commissioned?

...Or did Bastard Hakim make all of this up?

25-04-2017 14:26:49
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

Potential hired services are: animal handler, teamster, mercenaries for guard work, laborers/porters, linkboy (torch bearer), guide, scout, physician, scholar.

Bigger parties will need more food, will travel slower and are more obvious. I will award xp for treasure. Especially if you can get it back to civilization—with should be the main goal of your expedition. Large parties may help with that.
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 14:37:08 by Tiamat.)
25-04-2017 14:30:48
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

(25-04-2017 14:26:49)JLT* Wrote:  The Immortal, the Explorer and the homeless Holy Man all seem hirelings themselves? Will one of the PC's ( Tristan? Robin?) be running this operation, or are we NPC commissioned?

...Or did Bastard Hakim make all of this up?

You could be commissioned. As in a team brought together by a PC or an NPC patron to do a very specific taks. However, you will be working towards a common and risky goal for an equal share of the spoils. Hirelings get paid regardless of success and will not willingly put themselves in mortal danger.

If the party is brought together by a PC, the most likely characters would seem Tristan, Jelte or Arik.
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 14:38:46 by Tiamat.)
25-04-2017 14:35:54
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

If you were commissioned by an NPC; this npc would likely have hired one of you to bring the party together.
25-04-2017 14:44:48
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downlo..._24v10.pdf

Arik, wat is je mening over deze?
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 19:24:53 by Tiamat.)
25-04-2017 19:24:21
SageGenesis Online

(25-04-2017 19:24:21)Tiamat Wrote:  http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downlo..._24v10.pdf

Arik, wat is je mening over deze?

Most are alright, flavorful bits of fun. But there's also at-will flight (dragon wings) and super-advantage (elven accuracy). I'd allow most of them but not all of them without question.

25-04-2017 21:30:27
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

Pass without trace. Good one. May have made a mistake with pushing you. LOL
26-04-2017 21:34:09
SageGenesis Online

(26-04-2017 21:34:09)Tiamat Wrote:  Pass without trace. Good one. May have made a mistake with pushing you. LOL

To be fair, I didn't quite expect you to catch on to that. But yeah: I have mediocre scores, so I'm fully committing to being a support-character who makes other people awesome - without needing to use saving throw DC's or attack rolls.

26-04-2017 22:58:24
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

(26-04-2017 21:34:09)Tiamat Wrote:  May have made a mistake with pushing you. LOL

LOL

27-04-2017 07:09:22
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

That's fine. It may make it a little less fun, but I don't think it'll break the adventure. I'm going to embrace it. We may find it doesn't affect play much or it may even turn out to be great fun; we'll see.

I do think it is a terribly designed spell, however. I sort of get what they may have been trying to do. They seem to have tried to solve the problem of group stealth checks. However, to give everyone an additional +10 to stealth in a game where the max for regular 20th level characters with max dex is +11 does seem to be a tad much. Especially since passive perception doesn't keep up with stealth already. I had a slightly different (better) solution for group stealth planned, but that would not really be feasible in combination with this spell.

You're clearly aware that this is a terrible spell and a clear weak point in the system. I'm just slightly concerned that you're not only pulling loose threads, but that you were expecting to catch me unawares? Just hoping that we're still on the same side here. Wink

And ps, you guys get to be awesome.
(This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 21:11:51 by Tiamat.)
27-04-2017 18:11:45
SageGenesis Online

I'm actually not quite sure the spell is so bad that it's terrible. A normal level 20 character can have a +11 modifier, yes, but the game provides numerous other ways of improvements: bonus dice, skill expertise, magic buffs, advantage, etc. So the +11 is not an upper cap, it's more like the expected average at that level.

Maybe +10 is too much. Maybe it should be cut in half or something. I don't know, I've never seen it used and it doesn't come up as a frequent game-breaker on the forums I visit. Stealth can only take you so far, it still auto-fails if you step into the light. In most situations all you get is surprise - which is cool, but spending a second level slot and hoping for several good rolls is IMO a fair trade for a tactical advantage.

Problem is, I cannot afford to use anything which relies on attack rolls or saving throws, nor can I rely on weapons and heavy armor. So I'm stuck with the buffing cleric. Only two Domains get to do that: healing and trickery. And I don't want to be the walking band-aid dispenser. I don't want to pull on threads to cause the game to unravel, but I also have very few roads available to me. I can either buff my allies or be dead weight.

How about we say it instead grants the targets skill expertise in Stealth for the duration? (In other words, they get double proficiency bonus.) That way it will be useful but it also can't exceed the expected skill bonuses at any level.

27-04-2017 22:39:27
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Expertise that stacks w expertise? Tongue

28-04-2017 06:37:33
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

Happy to get reassurance we are indeed on the same side. +10 is a lot and in future campaigns and with other characters I would likely adjust the spell. In this particular case and for your character in particular, I am reluctant to change anything.

I do think your proposed solution is quite elegant, because it helps the weakest links a lot, but keeps the effect at the expected upper boundaries of the game, and retains the potential for advantage/disadvantage from other sources. Even better would be if the recipients of the spell could simply share the highest proficiency bonus, which would reward parties that have characters that spent resources on superior stealth.

As to your low wisdom, I am contemplating a magic implement solution that would allow you to use a higher wis bonus for spell casting on occasion and for some cost as a limited resource. I still have to decide on the specifics.
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2017 07:39:25 by Tiamat.)
28-04-2017 07:39:16
Tiamat Offline
Posting Freak

FYI, Ik probeer een zekere Ewoud over te halen om onze hobby te proberen. Het zou dus kunnen dat we straks met 6 spelers zijn. Dit is niet ideaal, maar ik wil de kans op nieuw bloed zeker niet laten lopen Wink
28-04-2017 16:35:50

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;