Dorkfest 2017 - 7/8/9 July
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

RE: Dorkfest 2017
I would like a bit more information about the setting before I can start making decisions. All options seem interesting Wink

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
22-09-2016 16:37:53
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goldylox Offline
Parental Control Group

Let's make a party with only Summoners and Centaurs with bazooka's Grin

Miew mriewiew mrrr mriew prrrr!!!
23-09-2016 11:04:34
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

Let's not.

robindevoh.com - NaNoWriMo prep & onwards, writin's the main topic.
23-09-2016 14:47:11
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

This is a quick and dirty version of the world, as your characters would know it. Low on details for now because it's not as if I know them either.

Once upon a time...

There was a world. On a map it looked as if the gods had taken a handful of islands and sprinkled them out over the sea, a great cluster of green specks on endless blue.

On these lands lived people, who built the Old Empire. Theirs was a time of peace and prosperity. They made great advancements in the arts and sciences. They discovered magic and learned to master it. They had the blessings of the gods, unraveled the secrets written in the stars, and everybody in those days knew their reign would last for ten thousand years.

But it didn’t.

Terrible monsters and demons crawled in from the darkest corners of the world and waged war upon the Empire, with their ultimate goal the destruction of the world. As the years went by, both sides unleashed ever more terrible creations upon the other.

In the end both of them lost. The monsters were vanquished but the world was different and the glittering wonders of the Empire were destroyed. The ocean itself had withered and retreated, unveiling the depths in between the islands. There was land there, at the bottom of the sea, now rendered dry.

The people of the Old Empire mostly stayed on their old, high lands. They founded a new realm, the Moebius Empire, ever changing yet eternal – a continuation of the past. They called the new lands the Shadow Sea, and the Dreamlands. One day the world would wake up and find the ocean had returned. Nothing should be built down there. It won’t last. The sea will swallow everything and everyone.

But some people had other ideas. The Shadow Sea – or the Free Lands as they prefer to call it – has an irresistible pull on the free spirits, the explorers, the heretics, the outlaws, the exiles, and those with wanderlust in their hearts. The Moebius Empire has strict social classes and many a peasant has made the way down below to find his fortune. Some of them failed. Some of them found happiness. Some managed to claim a piece of land of their own and call themselves kings.

You all start as young adults (16 – 20) in the Free Lands. The Moebius Empire is something you only know from old legends and the stories told by the occasional new immigrant. All you’ve ever seen of them with your own eyes are the iron airships they fly and their trains, running between islands on stone bridges, one mile high and dozens of miles long, stretching to connect their high “island” realms.

The technology of the Free Lands is anachronistically medieval. Moebius has vastly more advanced magitech but immigrants can only bring what little they can carry. Relationships between the two different realms are strained, at best. Moebius considers their lowly neighbors to be madmen, parasites, or doomed half-people.

Despite starting out as the "bottom of the sea", the Free Lands look like a typical quasi-European JRPG. There's forests, hills, cities, rivers, and even some smaller seas (or maybe great lakes?) that make the world look exactly as you'd expect it. Except every now and then there's a miles-high plateau shooting into the sky, with an advanced magitech empire sitting on top of it.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
23-09-2016 17:55:27
SageGenesis Offline

So that's the basic broad strokes setting. Anything else people want to know about the setting or the classes or anything?

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
25-09-2016 14:47:41
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Do I start with Blaze lvl4?

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
25-09-2016 17:38:33
SageGenesis Offline

No, but this is a decent opportunity to say something else about Blaze.

In Shining Force 3, casters learn only three spells (unlike the previous two games where they could learn up to four). The fourth spell slot depends on which weapon you have equipped. One staff might hold a new special attack, another a debuff, etc. Upgrading to new wands and staves will thus provide you with stronger spells and a wider selection to use.

I like the flexibility this brings, so casters in this game do not learn at-will spells. All they have are dailies and once per battle and such.

However, just like a Fighter can attack people at will with a sword, so can the casters use magical at-will attacks from the weapon/implement they are holding. Wizards are proficient in staves and wands, which typically hold Blaze, Freeze, and Spark. ("Spark" is a more accurate translation from original Japanese than "Bolt", by the way. Yes I'm doing research.) But who knows? Do the right quest and you might obtain an entirely new, unique at-will attack that no other Wizard on the continent has ever seen before.

25-09-2016 17:47:01
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

about our local starting area, is it a little kingdom? how settled are the freelands? how mixed / organized are the races?

Licensed.
25-09-2016 18:27:37
SageGenesis Offline

Small to Mid-sized kingdom. One big city in the center, several smaller ones and towns scattered about. Influential enough to matter in the local politics but not to the extent that it can dominate all its neighbors.

Free Lands are quasi-settled. While many lands are claimed by some ruler or another, plenty of it is still just wilderness without a sign of civilization. If you go really far from the towering "islands" of the Moebius Empire, it eventually becomes just borderlands and terra incognita.

Depends on the specific kingdom you're in but for the most part races are fairly mixed. Horses don't exist in this setting (donkeys and oxes do), so centaurs fill the role of knights and heavy laborers. Elves tend to be fairly talented at magic and also make good archers and foresters. That kind of stuff is pretty normal in the Free Lands. And from what immigrants say, it's also true in the Empire.

25-09-2016 19:08:48
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

What do priests do? Are there gods? Fey? Ancestor spirits? Small river / tree spirits? Ghosts?

Licensed.
26-09-2016 00:20:13
SageGenesis Offline

What do priests do?

Two answers:

One type stays at the church and fulfills a sort of hospital and community center role. They have some magic powers to heal the sick and to revive the dea- I mean, the "exhausted". They also do things like perform marriages and oversee funerals.

The other goes out into the battlefield and kicks ass. The Free Lands approach military matters in a "combined arms" kind of way, mixing groups of infantry, cavalry, and casters (and sometimes aerial units) and letting them operate in unison.

Are there gods?

Sort of. They say the empire has holy orders which have actual direct contact with celestial messengers, the Free Lands thus far haven't. But the divine magic they wield works anyway. Immigrants from the empire say there is only one goddess. Locals tend to think there might be more. Whatever the case, the divine and true nature/history of the world is shrouded in mystery.

Fey? Ancestor spirits? Small river / tree spirits? Ghosts?

Yes, and they're even called upon in some healing spells.
Some shaman have called upon these but nobody's ever really seen one.
Not on such a small scale, but spirits (some call these "gods" in their own right) of mighty volcanoes and vast oceans do exist.
Yes.

26-09-2016 08:49:07
nar Offline
Posting Freak

(written before i read the previous post, but i like the imagery, so i'm leaving it unchanged)

are there any remnants of the worldsea left? dark waters pooled in the forbidding depths of great fissures in the land (a la the mid-atlantic ridge/rift)?

how does a Lovecraft-themed summoner sound? a trove of water-logged lore was found while spelunking/canyoning, revealing the secret names of aspects of Great Old Ones, and the ensuing dreams provided the forgotten rituals for calling them forth!

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
26-09-2016 09:13:57
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

How common is magic in the free lands? Are all the streets illuminated with magic light or only in rich people's houses? And priests? Do most towns have easy access to magical health care or is it mostly just in the big city?

Licensed.
26-09-2016 10:12:58
SageGenesis Offline

(26-09-2016 09:13:57)nar Wrote:  (written before i read the previous post, but i like the imagery, so i'm leaving it unchanged)

are there any remnants of the worldsea left? dark waters pooled in the forbidding depths of great fissures in the land (a la the mid-atlantic ridge/rift)?

how does a Lovecraft-themed summoner sound? a trove of water-logged lore was found while spelunking/canyoning, revealing the secret names of aspects of Great Old Ones, and the ensuing dreams provided the forgotten rituals for calling them forth!

The Free Lands have seas, which in the past would have indeed been the deepest regions of the oceans.

The Lovecraft summoner sounds... honestly, not that good. First because it doesn't fit well into the JRPG style we're going for, and second because a tentacle-empowered caster sounds far too much like something that belonged in the previous Dorkfest world.

(26-09-2016 10:12:58)(me) Melchior Wrote:  How common is magic in the free lands? Are all the streets illuminated with magic light or only in rich people's houses? And priests? Do most towns have easy access to magical health care or is it mostly just in the big city?

Magic is common enough that people can recognize it on sight but there's no magic lights around. Perhaps Moebius has such conveniences but the Free Lands make do with candles, torches, and oil lanterns. Magic is a half-tamed and barely understood force, it doesn't let itself be bottled up into a lamp that lasts forever. The lamp would run out, melt into slag, or require constant refueling. Wizards have better things to do with their time.

It's a similar story for priests. Divine magic is also uncommon and somewhat taxing on the caster, so priests can't hand out magic band-aids to everyone. Their prayers can hasten the recovery of a wounded general or thwart the spread of pestilence, but universal health care for everyone and everything is out of the question.

(Theology Bonus Round: unlike in real world Abrahamic religions, the question of faith is irrelevant to the priests of this world. Being concerned about the inner soul of either the priest or their recipient is like worrying whether someone with glasses has prayed to photons this morning. It's more like Shinto in this regard, which makes sense given the background of those who make JRPG video games.

A couple of rare individuals just happen to be able to tap into the divine. Moebius says that they are the ones doing the proper rites and prayers which make the goddess shower her light on the world, and the ones in the Shadow Sea/Free Lands just happen to catch some of that as well. Blessings also roll downhill, I guess. The people of the Free Lands... honestly don't care that much. Sometimes a priest happens to stop a plague or puts some zombies back into the grave. A handful of scholars and philosophers might worry about how it worked but most people are just glad to be alive.)

26-09-2016 13:47:45
nar Offline
Posting Freak

(26-09-2016 13:47:45)SageGenesis Wrote:  The Lovecraft summoner sounds... honestly, not that good. First because it doesn't fit well into the JRPG style we're going for, and second because a tentacle-empowered caster sounds far too much like something that belonged in the previous Dorkfest world.

nuts. i really dug this one, in no small part because it references previous escapades Wink this is going to be a bit hit 'n miss for a while. i don't think i have the right frame of reference just yet...

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
(This post was last modified: 26-09-2016 14:21:35 by nar.)
26-09-2016 14:20:56
DaPainz Offline

Wow that's a lot to take in! I love it though! Being completely honest i have never played shinning force but i will do my homework during the winter. I've been playing a rogueish character so im thinking in the direction of a human fighter or monk this time. Preferably someone with multiple swords. Back to the world though, i do like how the open sea, even when bone dry, still attracts delinquents.
26-09-2016 16:28:32
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

Yes, how about them monks?
I kinda like the idea of a traveling Panda Monk, there to promote peace through the drinking of beer!

26-09-2016 17:10:17
SageGenesis Offline

Panda monks I took mostly from the Dofus/Wakfu universe. To help you along:
http://www.renders-graphiques.fr/image/u...female.png
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736...a686d8.jpg

Humans, elves, and pandas each have their own unique style. Humans are hardest, elves hit more often, and pandas... are drunk. The panda beastmen brew their own unique liquor from fermented grass that all other races find disgusting, although pandas are perfectly happy to drink other kinds of booze as well. The drinking contests between pandas and dwarves are the stuff of legend, as both of them have incredible tolerance that even centaurs find hard to match despite their enormous body mass.

I'll provide some more details on the Monk class itself later. I plan to give the basic outlines of each class here as soon as they're all done, so people have a better idea of what it means - in terms of game mechanics - to choose a class.

26-09-2016 17:40:03
SageGenesis Offline

(26-09-2016 14:20:56)nar Wrote:  i don't think i have the right frame of reference just yet...

Perhaps this helps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptvSQY9Qa8

28-09-2016 11:54:13
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

... Goddammit.

28-09-2016 17:45:05
SageGenesis Offline

Minor change in plans.

Hacking 13th Age into something that works well for Shining Force and such a large group turns out to be more time-consuming than I thought or have time for. I also suspect that, while 13th Age's core may be familiar, some of the specifics and class ability/power interactions may be slow to re-learn every year.

I've given it some thought and we'll keep the campaign idea but we change the system we're using into...

D&D 4th edition.

"But wasn't tha-"

This time, things will be different!

Classes are mostly limited to the Essentials line. That means a slight difference in design approach while still being 4e at heart. This limits some choices, pre-selects some of the benefits you get as you level up, and prevents the sick combos you get when you draw material from the entire database. Overall resulting in quicker leveling and quicker play.

No feats. Too many of them, too fiddly, too many "mandatory" choices that limit options rather than open up freedom of choice. Unique techniques and benefits can still be earned in play, but they'll be story-rewards.

No standard magic items. Default bonuses will be taken care of through "inherent bonuses", which means that the character builder software does it all in the background and we just don't worry about it. Magic items have always been the weakest part of 4e in my opinion, so any items you do find won't be standard math-fixes and true items of treasure and magic, hopefully.

No standard races. We just leave that space blank in the character builder. Why? Because ability score adjustments result in "best" choices, and I want elf fighters as much as I want dwarf ones. Because centaurs and beastmen aren't in the character builder. Because I can just make up some cool benefits for specific race/class combinations on the spot and hand them out, which you'll just write down in pen.

More details later.

The really good news, of course, is that character creation can start pretty much immediately.

21-01-2017 12:54:41
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

Works for me!

21-01-2017 13:11:38
nar Offline
Posting Freak

Sure! Sounds bangin' ^^

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
21-01-2017 13:37:21
SageGenesis Offline

The list of what people said they wanted to be:

Jeroen: centaur archer
Robin: beastman rogue
Melchior: beastman berserker
Jelte: wizard
Jasper: human "summoner" (steam-powered)
Mark: Fighter or Summoner, probably
Hyung: beastman priest (or perhaps an archer)
Ben: Elf summoner? Summoners sure seem popular!
Mike: human fighter or monk, preferably someone with multiple swords.
Wolf: Panda monk

Based on available classes and this list, I would recommend:

Jeroen: Hunter. Weapon-based controller class with a surprisingly decent amount of damage.

Robin: Thief. Striker class. Mobile, high-damage, high-skill.

Melchior: Either a Slayer (martial striker) or Berserker (hybrid defender/striker).

Jelte: Sounds like a Mage to me. They have several school specialties, such as Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy.

Jasper: There is an Artificer class but that's healing and I think you said you had done plenty of that already. It's a bit strange but I might go with a Sha'ir (a type of wizard), who has more summoning/conjuring/ally-buffing than the typical Mage, and just re-flavor all his abilities. Grenades instead of Fireballs, if you will.

Mark: There's two kinds of Fighters, the Slayer (striker) and the Knight (defender). For summoner... well we shouldn't have two Sha'ir and a Mage probably, so a Sorcerer (striker) could fit?

Huyng: Finally a healer! Grin
There's a Warpriest class, so that's easy enough.

Ben: Dear god, Ben, don't we have enough Summoners already? Can't I interest you in something else? Maybe a nice defender or healer? How about a real Paladin for a change? XD

Mike: Something with multiple swords, huh? Trust me on this: the Scout is what you want. It's a type of Ranger and they can be a blender if you know what you're doing.

Wolf: Sadly there's no Essentials version of the Monk. However, I've looked into it and we can hack something very close with some minor tweaks and re-flavoring of the Bladesinger class (a melee-wizard controller/striker hybrid).

21-01-2017 14:08:05
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

That sounds agreeable.

Or we can look at some other options that now have become available Smile

22-01-2017 18:57:55

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;