Midsummer murder hobos
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Midsummer murder hobos
Het lijkt mij heel moeilijk om een "unforgiving" campaign te doen. Ik heb nu al vaak dat mijn perceptie van de situatie en die van de DM vaak net even verschillen waardoor iets wat ik denk: "dat kan wel, of dat is logisch", de dm denkt : dat is dom en suicidaal"
Ook kom ik veel situaties tegen waarbij ik omwille van de adventure of het verhaal mee ga maar het eigenlijk niet zou doen als het echt "unforgiving" zou zijn.

Ik ben bang dat het dan de hele tijd een discussie is over wat wel en niet voldoende was beschreven en iedereen met een 10ft pool overal heen gaat, terwijl alle story-hooks blijven liggen.

Licensed.
19-05-2016 21:45:47
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiamat Offline

I agree and won't run an unforgiving campaign. Still, this world will be dangerous and death is an option. I think that player death should not be part of a campaign, but the threat of player death serves a purpose in some campaigns. It can create a particular form of tension. For this tension to exist there should be situations that could potentially result in player death.

Edit: Don't worry; just remember that you likely won't be ably to take on everything you encounter through combat and that combats do not need to end in extermination of either party.
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2016 00:16:32 by Tiamat.)
19-05-2016 22:21:27
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

'Unforgiving' just has that 'constant tension' ring to it that can be tiring, but having that tension in the back of our heads when it's relevant sounds good to me Smile

Especially for a shorter campaign I would think it interesting to experience that not every fight is balanced for us to win. That a tactical retreat might be needed here, or avoidance is needed here, or running like hell once we see them over there. Could provide some interesting situations.

robindevoh.com - NaNoWriMo prep & onwards, writin's the main topic.
20-05-2016 06:52:57
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiamat Offline

I agree with all this. Not everything needs to be dangerous, but not everything needs to be safe either. My biggest concern is that I'll make fatal mistakes. I hope you'll forgive me if I do.

Edit: players will have to realize that the world is dangerous and potentially unfair (when the DM makes mistakes) and act accordingly.
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2016 11:15:15 by Tiamat.)
20-05-2016 11:06:45
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

I'll just roll up twins. Have my next PC ready from the get go Wink

20-05-2016 11:21:50
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiamat Offline

(19-05-2016 14:12:56)(me) Melchior Wrote:  May 31 - june 3 ill be out of the country.

Does that affect the alternative Tuesday campaign, because I just heard from Trizzy that he would be able to do 31st of May.

(20-05-2016 11:21:50)voh Wrote:  I'll just roll up twins. Have my next PC ready from the get go Wink

Shame of those lost levels really Wink
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2016 11:26:43 by Tiamat.)
20-05-2016 11:24:53
SageGenesis Offline

(20-05-2016 11:24:53)Tiamat Wrote:  Does that affect the alternative Tuesday campaign, because I just heard from Trizzy that he would be able to do 31st of May.

That's actually a fair point. I'll shoot an email to Wolf, see what he thinks as well.

Edit:
I assume then that not everybody needs to be present at the same time for chargen? Because if we absolutely must all be there at the same time then 31st is still a no-go due to Mel.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
20-05-2016 11:39:25
Tiamat Offline

(20-05-2016 11:39:25)SageGenesis Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 11:24:53)Tiamat Wrote:  Does that affect the alternative Tuesday campaign, because I just heard from Trizzy that he would be able to do 31st of May.

That's actually a fair point. I'll shoot an email to Wolf, see what he thinks as well.

Edit:
I assume then that not everybody needs to be present at the same time for chargen? Because if we absolutely must all be there at the same time then 31st is still a no-go due to Mel.

I would rather do most of the chargen outside of the first session. Perhaps over Skype or phone. Perhaps we could also have a dropbox with the char sheets.

Mel is a very fun player to have in the group. Still, I would have no problem with introducing Mel in the second session. During the summer not everyone will be able to make it every time.
20-05-2016 11:49:46
SageGenesis Offline

(20-05-2016 11:49:46)Tiamat Wrote:  I would rather do most of the chargen outside of the first session. Perhaps over Skype or phone. Perhaps we could also have a dropbox with the char sheets.

Random rolling and no direct oversight from the DM? Sign me up! LOL

But no seriously, just say the word when you want to do a skype session and let's do it. (I can even hook up a webcam to show the dice I think.)

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
20-05-2016 11:57:18
Tiamat Offline

(20-05-2016 11:57:18)SageGenesis Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 11:49:46)Tiamat Wrote:  I would rather do most of the chargen outside of the first session. Perhaps over Skype or phone. Perhaps we could also have a dropbox with the char sheets.

Random rolling and no direct oversight from the DM? Sign me up! LOL

But no seriously, just say the word when you want to do a skype session and let's do it. (I can even hook up a webcam to show the dice I think.)

Note that it would be random rolling for order of the standard array, not the actual scores. I want player scores to be the same, because the impact of ability scores is a little too big in 5th. Random rolling would upset player balance.

As an aside, I'm much more comfortable with you and Mel rolling for order and getting a char you could work with than Robin and Tristan, but I might be wrong here.

Edit: we might also go for random assignment of the highest score only or something like that.

(20-05-2016 11:57:18)SageGenesis Wrote:  

Today and Mondays work best as I am at home with Tristan.
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2016 12:17:21 by Tiamat.)
20-05-2016 12:13:30
SageGenesis Offline

Oh that kind of randomness. Yeah I see what you mean now. Yeah ok, that sounds good.

20-05-2016 12:17:39
Tiamat Offline

I don't think 5th does random rolling well. If the whole party rolls poorly or well there's no real effect other than the challenges the party could handle. However, if there's differences between players, some are going to be second rate for the entire campaign.

Addition:Based on the Char-gen rules, I expect all players to have a 17 in their primary stat and a 16 in another stat, but there are other choices available.
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2016 12:32:09 by Tiamat.)
20-05-2016 12:28:32
Tiamat Offline

Anyway, if you'd want to discuss char gen today or Monday, I'm available. Just send me a Skype message.
20-05-2016 13:17:45
SageGenesis Offline

One skype call later...

Thamian the Fox
Wood Elf / Bard / Soldier

Str 12
Dex 16
Con 13
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 16

HP 15
AC 15

Skills: Athletics, Deception, Intimidation, Perception, Stealth, Survival
Tools: Cards, Land vehicles, Musical Instruments (ocarina, lyre, flute)

Important Equipment: Studded Leather, Rapier, Longbow, Explorer's Pack, Ocarina, Deck of Cards

Cantrips: Dancing Lights, Message
Spells: Faerie Fire, Feather Fall, Healing Word, Heroism, Longstrider

Concept:
Thamian was an elf soldier, an officer in a skirmishing unit which would employ knowledge of the land and magic to slowly dismantle any enemies foolish enough to enter their home woodland. Their expertise was ambush, hit and run, guerrilla of the most unforgiving sort. To attain victory, the ends justify each and every means. Thamian's job was to augment those under his command... as well as making things horrible for their enemies.

Then the elven war was over and Thamian found himself poorly suited to return to civilian life. He couldn't relax and put down the sword anymore. So he struck out to earn a paycheck by doing the one thing he's best at.

He is a thin elf with eyes like flint. He dresses in sturdy, functional grab with green and brown colors that fade away well in the forest.

20-05-2016 15:19:31
Tiamat Offline

Mel is currently building a Wood Elf archer type character. Robin, you might have moved to other type of characters, but if you still have a fondness for big-hitting warrior types with awesome staying power, you might be interested in the 5e Barbarian. I hate the name, but it is a pretty great berserker. A half-orc, dwarven or Human Barbarian is an unstoppable force.

Arik, do you agree?
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 11:54:43 by Tiamat.)
21-05-2016 11:54:00
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

Nah, I'm good with a melee character Smile

How do you want to do chargen? I have time coming Monday evening, but I don't have your skype info Tongue

21-05-2016 13:31:20
SageGenesis Offline

(21-05-2016 11:54:00)Tiamat Wrote:  Arik, do you agree?

Yes, but for subclass pick Totem Warrior instead of Berserker. The latter's special frenzy power gives you exhaustion levels, which is quite literally more trouble than it's worth.

21-05-2016 16:07:22
Tiamat Offline

(21-05-2016 13:31:20)voh Wrote:  Nah, I'm good with a melee character Smile

How do you want to do chargen? I have time coming Monday evening, but I don't have your skype info Tongue

I think I sent you a Skype mess.

(21-05-2016 16:07:22)SageGenesis Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 11:54:00)Tiamat Wrote:  Arik, do you agree?

Yes, but for subclass pick Totem Warrior instead of Berserker. The latter's special frenzy power gives you exhaustion levels, which is quite literally more trouble than it's worth.

Totem warrior seems to be the more fun subclass of the two. Also, it gives me an excuse to make you kill an Owlbear to get your totem. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 16:54:52 by Tiamat.)
21-05-2016 16:52:08
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

I have a deep-seated personal vendetta against Owlbears so that sounds fun!

21-05-2016 17:07:19
Tiamat Offline

Owlbears got a bad rap, but they just want to feed the cubs.

Edit: they might get their bad wrap from chipotle's
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 19:20:46 by Tiamat.)
21-05-2016 18:51:08
SageGenesis Offline

Witcher 3 also has this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-DKyAVU34

22-05-2016 00:01:56
Tiamat Offline

Tristan will play a Forest Gnome Wizard, so you'll have a well-rounded party. The first session is the 31st with Robin, Tristan, and Arik. The second the 14th.

I have created a campaign dropbox folder; could you please keep an up to date character (in a word file or char sheet) in this folder?
23-05-2016 23:24:59
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

The 31st is fine because Wolf's game won't happen due to no Mel, but the 14th (and bi-weekly onwards) is supposed to be a Wolf session, if I'm not mistaken?

24-05-2016 09:57:29
Tiamat Offline

Mel seemed to imply yesterday that Wolf's game could shift to the 7th and biweekly thereafter. This would be beneficial to both games if there are no other scheduling conflicts.

Mel also requested changing the date to Monday 30; I know you guys cannot make it then, but were this to change for whatever reason, let me know.
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2016 21:36:02 by Tiamat.)
24-05-2016 12:16:00
voh Offline
Grandmaster Yogurt

I have heard nothing of the sort, sadly, but afaik it was mostly dependent upon his schedule. I'll leave that up in the air for now, though, but if it could be confirmed either way (wolf, mel, arik?) I would be pleased.

As for the 30th, again afaik (and just spoke to Ben about seeing one another again coming Monday), it's looking like that is happening. Should that change, of course we'd let you guys know Smile

Stupid grown-up schedules.

24-05-2016 22:46:52

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;