Midsummer murder hobos
Tiamat Offline

Midsummer murder hobos
I am looking to do a biweekly-ish summer campaign on Mondays that should start Monday 30 May and end before September comes. This post is to gauge interest beyond our regular Monday crew and to determine what this campaign would look like.

Things to consider. Interest and availability. What is the best system to run for a rusty DM: 3.5, 4, or 13th age? Would we want a lvl 1 becoming a hero or a lvl 3 hero start?
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 15:41:56 by Tiamat.)
10-05-2016 15:27:55
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

RE: Midsummer murder hobos
Shame it's on Mondays, but nice to see some new initiatives Smile

robindevoh.com - NaNoWriMo prep & onwards, writin's the main topic.
10-05-2016 18:08:14
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

(10-05-2016 18:08:14)voh Wrote:  Shame it's on Mondays, but nice to see some new initiatives Smile

Same here. The day means that I can simply not participate.

(10-05-2016 15:27:55)Tiamat Wrote:  What is the best system to run for a rusty DM: 3.5, 4, or 13th age?

Given the experience with it of you and your presumed audience, I would say 3.5 is the most reliable bet. You have several physical books available, you know which issues to avoid, and in a shorter campaign you won't run into the caster-dominance issues of high level. (Although I would also recommend you start at 3 because otherwise you're perpetually stuck at "rookie".)

Best of luck!

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
10-05-2016 18:39:44
Tiamat Offline

System
The system will be 5th edition, with some inspiration from 13th age and 4th. For example, short rests can be had at any time, but long rest are granted by DM or in exchange for a campaign loss; some encounters may feature an escalation die mechanic; some opponents may have 13A or 4th inspired mechanics; some encounters may feature 4th ed. minions. The campaign will run for a weekday evening every two weeks from 30 May until sometime in August. I aim for at least 8 sessions; highish-risk, highish reward with respect to leveling.

Setting
What was once a glorious kingdom is now in squalor and disarray. For many generations, the area has been plagued by weird plagues and environmental disasters that have hit people hard. The people are suffering; many have lost their faith in the Gods of old and new religions are quickly gaining ground. Black Slaad addiction is rampant and petty gangs fight to monopolize the marginally lucrative black toad trade. The king has not been seen in ages and his knights are no longer perceived as the champions of the people they once were. While stories of old do mention wondrous magic, magic has not been seen for generations.

The setting is gritty, but PC are slightly more powerful than average so there should be plenty room for heroism if so desired.

Char creation
Standard ability score array (random order?)
  • +2 from race (choose from 2; cannot be the same as from class)
  • +2 from class (choose from 2; cannot be the same as from race)
Racial background choice:
  • Feat (any +1 to ability cannot be to the same ability as main racial or class bonus)
OR
  • PHB racial abilities (any +1 to ability cannot be to the same ability as main racial or class bonus)

Backgrounds, consider:
  • PHB background or 2 skills to fit backstory
  • One unique thing (optional)
  • Personality traits
  • Flaws
  • Goals (big & small) and desires; what do you want from life?
  • How might your goals interact with those of other party members?
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 12:31:44 by Tiamat.)
18-05-2016 12:19:01
SageGenesis Offline

(18-05-2016 12:19:01)Tiamat Wrote:  Setting
What was once a glorious kingdom is now in squalor and disarray. For many generations, the area has been plagued by weird plagues and environmental disasters that have hit people hard. The people are suffering; many have lost their faith in the Gods of old and new religions are quickly gaining ground. Black Slaad addiction is rampant and petty gangs fight to monopolize the marginally lucrative black toad trade. The king has not been seen in ages and his knights are no longer perceived as the champions of the people they once were. While stories of old do mention wondrous magic, magic has not been seen for generations.

The setting is gritty, but PC are slightly more powerful than average so there should be plenty room for heroism if so desired.

Getting a vibe in between Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3. That is a good thing.

Anyway, I personally simply can't make it on Mondays. If another day can be found then perhaps I could join then.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
18-05-2016 13:06:28
Tiamat Offline

For now, I am leaving the day open, but it will be a biweekly evening on a weekday (Mon,Tue,Wed, or Thu). I'd like to go for the day that can draw enough players, which might prove problematic in itself. How about Tuesdays?
18-05-2016 13:19:54
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

sounds good, im in.

Also a good Witcher 3 trailer / mini story.

Licensed.
18-05-2016 21:52:19
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

If bi-weekly on not-Monday, I would be up for it as well. Sounds interesting!

19-05-2016 06:04:31
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

I think I could do every other Tuesday for a few months.

You say magic hasn't been seen for a long time. Does this mean spellcaster PCs are out, or are there any special rules and restrictions in place, etc.?

19-05-2016 09:43:02
Tiamat Offline

No, magic exists, but it is rare/hidden from public view. Magic items for example should be rare and wondrous beyond a mechanical +1. PC's are not restricted with respect to spell casting, but I'd like to oversee char creation to clarify the few rules above.

We might do random assignment of stat arrays if players agree that they would like to "discover" their character's abilities and class for this shorter campaign.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 12:05:50 by Tiamat.)
19-05-2016 12:04:41
Tiamat Offline

Also, with Mel, Robin, Arik, and Tristan, there now seems to be enough interest for me to actually begin planning the campaign and some of the logistics. Currently, I am looking for a minimum of two players to run a session (this may change). I do have a tentative location at my place, but I hope we have better options. I think Ot suggested that he might have some space, but I do not know whether he can actually do Tuesdays.

I suggest Tuesday 31st of May for the first of the bi-weeksly sessions. Would this be feasible?
  • yes
  • no
  • maybe
  • I don't know; could you repeat the question?
19-05-2016 12:24:28
SageGenesis Offline

Robin, Mel, and I have another bi-weekly game on Tuesdays. This is supposed to take place on the 31st (and then two weeks after, etc.) so your proposed schedule is identical to the one we already have.

Maybe if we do the 24th instead (and then 7th of next month, etc.) then it would work out. Otherwise we'd need to switch to another day.

I'm totally in for random rolling of stats and then "discovering" what sort of class fits best. For a shorter campaign that's fine.

19-05-2016 12:31:37
Tiamat Offline

(19-05-2016 12:31:37)SageGenesis Wrote:  Robin, Mel, and I have another bi-weekly game on Tuesdays. This is supposed to take place on the 31st (and then two weeks after, etc.) so your proposed schedule is identical to the one we already have.

Maybe if we do the 24th instead (and then 7th of next month, etc.) then it would work out. Otherwise we'd need to switch to another day.

I'm totally in for random rolling of stats and then "discovering" what sort of class fits best. For a shorter campaign that's fine.

I was hoping that the 31st would fit. The 24th and 7th are in the same weeks as Jelte's BR campaign and I only have a single night per week to spare. I'll see whether there is room to shift weeks. If so, we would start no earlier than the 7th.
19-05-2016 12:57:41
Tiamat Offline

An alternative might be to start on Wed. or Thu. until Jelte's campaign hits baby recess around the end of June. Obviously, if a good reason happens to come up for your group to switch, let me know.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 13:48:06 by Tiamat.)
19-05-2016 13:42:02
Tiamat Offline

(19-05-2016 09:43:02)SageGenesis Wrote:  I think I could do every other Tuesday for a few months.

You say magic hasn't been seen for a long time. Does this mean spellcaster PCs are out, or are there any special rules and restrictions in place, etc.?

I might put some restrictions here or there. For example, I would not allow bards to take half-caster spells that half-casters of the same level would not have access to.
19-05-2016 13:57:18
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

May 31 - june 3 ill be out of the country.

Licensed.
19-05-2016 14:12:56
SageGenesis Offline

(19-05-2016 13:57:18)Tiamat Wrote:  I might put some restrictions here or there. For example, I would not allow bards to take half-caster spells that half-casters of the same level would not have access to.

Well that's just common sense and what the standard rule should've been in the first place. But nothing like magic requiring blood sacrifices, wizards being burned at the stake, or stuff like that?

19-05-2016 14:19:10
Tiamat Offline

(19-05-2016 14:19:10)SageGenesis Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 13:57:18)Tiamat Wrote:  I might put some restrictions here or there. For example, I would not allow bards to take half-caster spells that half-casters of the same level would not have access to.

Well that's just common sense and what the standard rule should've been in the first place. But nothing like magic requiring blood sacrifices, wizards being burned at the stake, or stuff like that?

Blood sacrifices are purely optional and you don't have to be a wizard to get burned at the stake. If anything, being a wizard should make it less likely that they'll catch you.
19-05-2016 15:15:09
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

If it's not on a Monday, I can't participate Tongue.
19-05-2016 16:33:15
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

If I am able to participate (alternating Tuesdays fitting our schedule or another night not Monday), I can also offer my house for a location. It's pretty central and there's room enough for up to 6 players.

Something to consider.

Other than every other tuesday and mondays I'm pretty flexible. I wouldn't've been able to make the 24th anyway, due to a band thing.

19-05-2016 16:41:00
Tiamat Offline

(19-05-2016 16:33:15)Oddman Wrote:  If it's not on a Monday, I can't participate Tongue.

(19-05-2016 16:41:00)voh Wrote:  If I am able to participate (alternating Tuesdays fitting our schedule or another night not Monday), I can also offer my house for a location. It's pretty central and there's room enough for up to 6 players.

Something to consider.

Other than every other tuesday and mondays I'm pretty flexible. I wouldn't've been able to make the 24th anyway, due to a band thing.

What I'm hearing is that we have a location regardless of the day of the week Tongue
19-05-2016 17:39:29
SageGenesis Offline

(19-05-2016 17:39:29)Tiamat Wrote:  What I'm hearing is that we have a location regardless of the day of the week Tongue

Ok but if you do Mondays, then I call dibs on the couches for my group. You can use the dinnertable. And we'll be the ones in control of the background music.

19-05-2016 19:33:44
Tiamat Offline

(18-05-2016 13:06:28)SageGenesis Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 12:19:01)Tiamat Wrote:  Setting

Getting a vibe in between Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3. That is a good thing.

Your comment has planted a seed.

I've never played dark souls, but it has the reputation to be harsh and unforgiving and now I want to play an unforgiving campaign. The problem of harsh unforgiving campaigns is that sooner or later players or the DM are going to make critical mistakes and someone is going to get killed. That I do not want and I do not yet know how to deal with this.
19-05-2016 19:51:13
SageGenesis Offline

(19-05-2016 19:51:13)Tiamat Wrote:  Your comment has planted a seed.

I've never played dark souls, but it has the reputation to be harsh and unforgiving and now I want to play an unforgiving campaign. The problem of harsh unforgiving campaigns is that sooner or later players or the DM are going to make critical mistakes and someone is going to get killed. That I do not want and I do not yet know how to deal with this.

I wouldn't call Dark Souls unforgiving, exactly. It's more like... they don't go out of their way to explain things. Bosses don't have giant glowing "hit me in this weak spot" areas, they don't have tutorials, and they certainly aren't vulnerable to the one item you happened to find 5 minutes ago. If you want to beat a boss, you got to learn and put in some work. And you'll die doing so. Probably several times. But once you've got things down then they're generally easy enough to handle - you earned that.

In Dark Souls your deaths are literal, in-character things. You don't reload or reverse time, you literally died and fell apart. And then later you rise once more from the grave. (You play as an undead in DS games.)

Edit:
I don't really know how this would work in a team-based tabletop game though. Instant death moves are easy in videogames because they teach you how to recognize them ahead of time and then dodge them. In D&D all you have is an AC value. You can't train proper reflexes when the enemy just rolls a d20.

19-05-2016 19:56:21
Tiamat Offline

(19-05-2016 19:56:21)SageGenesis Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 19:51:13)Tiamat Wrote:  Your comment has planted a seed.

I wouldn't call Dark Souls unforgiving, exactly. It's more like... they don't go out of their way to explain things. Bosses don't have giant glowing "hit me in this weak spot" areas, they don't have tutorials, and they certainly aren't vulnerable to the one item you happened to find 5 minutes ago. If you want to beat a boss, you got to learn and put in some work. And you'll die doing so. Probably several times. But once you've got things down then they're generally easy enough to handle - you earned that.

In Dark Souls your deaths are literal, in-character things. You don't reload or reverse time, you literally died and fell apart. And then later you rise once more from the grave. (You play as an undead in DS games.)

Edit:
I don't really know how this would work in a team-based tabletop game though. Instant death moves are easy in videogames because they teach you how to recognize them ahead of time and then dodge them. In D&D all you have is an AC value. You can't train proper reflexes when the enemy just rolls a d20.

In D&D there is caution, some tactics, resource management, and exit/retreat options. In D&D you can also earn your victory, but death is much more unforgiving. I really don't want player death, but I do want to run a dangerous world. I'll try to show restraint. Just pray I don't make any major mistakes that kill anyone.
19-05-2016 20:29:52

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;