[Iron Kingdoms] My proposed houserules
SageGenesis Offline

Because let's face it, default D&D doesn't quite grasp the spirit of of the setting. And Privateer Press' own rules are misinformed at best.

1: No Alignment for Characters
The setting as described can simply not exist under its own laws of (meta-)physics. There is no way the Morrowan Church can be corrupted by Thamarite influence if the churches are crawling with paladins and other folks who can sling Detect Evils about with wild abandon.
Similarly, the Menite Inquisition can be simply and objectively be proven to be Evil. Why would anybody trust their spiritual wellbeing to an undeniably evil agency?

As such every humanoid being, from the most noble paladin to a homicidal rapist, would register as the same alignment: Neutral.

That doesn't mean that the other alignments don't exist though; undead, infernals, spells with the [Evil] descriptor, and certain monsters would still be wholy evil and treated as such.

2: Reserve Points
The setting assumes that magical healing is rare and dangerous, and imposed some very convoluted and impractical rules to enforce this. (Not to mention broken rules, as they didn't take the non-divine healing spells of Bards into account.)
Reserve points are simply implemented and a relatively elegant solution to keep magical healing in the background without condemning people to a slow, gangrenous death.

These rules are official optional rules from Wizards of the Coast and can be found here:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/advent...Points.htm

Magical healing would simply convert a person's reserve points into hitpoints, accelerating the process.

3: No Class Skills
The concept of class skills always served as a (IMO) stifling straightjacket to force you into preconceived roles. In a setting with more widespread education and news agencies it becomes harder to justify.
My proposal is therefore to simpyl do away with the notion of class- and cross-class skills, instead letting people just buy ranks in any skills they want with their skill points on a 1:1 basis. At best this can result in better individualization of a PC, and at worst this will result in tumbling wizards and bluffing clerics... or something. I really see no problem here.

4: Gestalt Characters
Moving into slightly more experimental terrain I propose the full use of Gestalt characters, another official optional rule.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classe...acters.htm

This will result in characters who are more powerful than their level would let you believe - roughly similar to how one US gallon doesn't contain the same as an imperial (UK) gallon (never mind the wine gallon and corn gallon).

Whilst this empowers individual people, I strongly suspect it will balance out when contrasted against the following:
* Default D&D assumes a party of 4-5 people, but we have 3. Since the 4/5 roles are Fighting, Skill & Sneak, Arcane, Divine, and the optional Support role, a party of three people will miss out on class abilities.
* The setting has fewer true magic items and their replacement mechanikal items are rife with drawbacks. ("Oh man, my vorpal sword's batteries are dead!")
Since D&D also presumes that a party will have an impressive arsenal at their disposal this is another weakening effect. Firearms admittedly mitigate this fact somewhat but not entirely, due to the high expenses.

Plus, it's just plain cool to be a fighter/wizard without having to suck at both. Wink

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
13-03-2006 10:29:36
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

For shits and giggles, we might also try...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campai...tation.htm

Flaws:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildi...rFlaws.htm

Traits:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildi...Traits.htm

These aren't "fixes" of any kind, but seem balanced and could add some nice game-mechanical substance to some roleplay elements if you've got just the kind of character who could use this sort of thing.
Got that suicidally bloodthirsty barbarian frothing at the mouth? Heck, give him the Aggressive trait. Good times.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
13-03-2006 11:41:49
SageGenesis Offline

Oh yes, one more thing. A rather important one too.

The standard D&D rules let clerics swap prepared spells to spontaneously cast a curing spell (of equal or lower level). In IK this is rather a silly power to grant clerics, as curing spells are a sure way to earn yourself a godly kick in the teeth.

Instead it might be better to let clerics swap prepared spells to spontaneously cast a spell from their Domain list (of equal level or lower). This enforces the archetype of the cleric and drives home the differences between one god and another, without granting the entire clergy a suicide button.

13-03-2006 12:55:29
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

I've been scanning through the book and it looks pretty cool all Smile

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
11-07-2006 10:38:27
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

So hey, character creation. We really need to start making work of this otherwise it'll just fizzle out. In the next two weeks I have pretty much no real obligations during the evenings. What about you?

02-08-2006 21:46:19
nar Offline
Posting Freak

like marcia suggested yesterday, what do you cats think of next week wednesday? that'd be the 9th.

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
04-08-2006 05:52:27
SageGenesis Offline

Fine by me.

04-08-2006 07:46:43
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

I wonder if I'm capable of playing a paladin ^_^
I'll give it a shot Smile

10-08-2006 19:20:35
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nar Offline
Posting Freak

allrighty, a new week's begun, and considering that most of us're back at school, (i've still got till next week before classes start again), i'm just wondering if we're all up for a session this week.

i am, for the record Wink let me know. i'm more or less prepared for the next session...

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
04-09-2006 13:12:24
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

I'm game Smile
8.00 PM an marcia's?

05-09-2006 18:00:38
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak

jups 8 at my place Grin. and hopefully in a relatively awake state...

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
05-09-2006 19:08:27
nar Offline
Posting Freak

i've got a question for you cats:

the current adventure, in regards to my planning for next session, and at the risk of making you guys feel as though i'm leading you by the nose here, would you like me to get to the point, so to speak?
there is something to be said for having that one particular item that you just can't seem to get back to its owners, but that may be a theme better suited to later in the game.

shall we get that crate back to where it belongs, or shall i give you the run around a bit more? Wink

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
15-09-2006 14:34:55
SageGenesis Offline

I'm not even sure if I understand what you're saying. You're either using no grammar at all, or you're using an advanced form that is impossible for laymen to grasp.

I think you're asking if we want the adventure to reach its conclusion next session. To which I'd answer: yes, provided there's not something very entertaining and/or pressing to sidetrack us. We're on a railroad so we should be able to travel fast and without detours.

16-09-2006 11:51:22
nar Offline
Posting Freak

....yes. twas indeed a very advanced form of...grammar, that i was utilizing there Wink

and yes, that's also what i was asking.
there are several different things i could do in regards to the current mission, but i feel that delaying its ending, (or at least having you all arrive in Caspia), is beating a dead horse

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
17-09-2006 09:34:43
nar Offline
Posting Freak

and also:
what do you cats want to be doing in Caspia, excluding the delivery of the item? Lt. Garrisson began there as a character, so there may be all sorts of interesting people who know him, etc, and Dr. Fairgrey was on her way to the city, if i'm not mistaken, and Rosa...god, Rosa could get into a lot of trouble there Wink

you guys're off to the captial! yer characters must have some vague idea of what they'll be doing there Smile

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
17-09-2006 10:58:17
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

I want something interesting and adventureouslikey things happening to us Wink

maybe some bigger picture, a continuing lead on what we were transporting or why..

besides his regiment and maybe a clean bath, there isnt really that much for garrisson to do in the capital I guess..

17-09-2006 23:37:05
SageGenesis Offline

Delaying the end of this mission is no problem for me, as long as it makes sense. The One Ring wasn't brought to its destination without a few detours either. Wink

As for what I'll do in the capital, Mayberry originally planned to set up residence there and land a nice job at some university, scientific company, or similar field of advanced mechanikal sciences. Maybe attend some presentations about the latest breakthroughs in observing thaum particles. Go to the theaters. Pick up some new bestseller books to read. And if the opportunity presents itself, marry a rich old coot and have him build me a volcano-lair.

18-09-2006 09:23:18
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

I think Merrick Garrisson wants to be initiated in the order of the Knights of the Prophet.. Maybe he is already an aspirant, or maybe he needs to fullfill some quests or gain experience

maybe its a background thing and he allready is a knight. (I'd see a third level mounted paladin as a good addition to such an order Wink )
what do you think?

24-09-2006 17:12:37
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

wel jammer dat je voor alle firearms feats nodig hebt.. ik vind het cool om in deze setting iig iets van een sidearm of misschien een shieldgun te hebben, maar feats zijn (zeker voor gestalt classes als wij) veel te kostbaar

24-09-2006 18:57:18
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

I'm looking foreward to playing again this evening Smile thats a good sign I guess Tongue

27-09-2006 08:49:43
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak

something completely off topic but the thing!! it went beep again!!! after weeks of beeing silent last night it was there!!!

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
14-10-2006 12:52:32
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

hahahaha!
next wednesday the search continues!! Grin

15-10-2006 15:15:12
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

ik heb woensdag 25 om 19.30 een techniek vergadering en een techniek borrel daarna.. het zal niet de hele avond in beslag nemen, dus ik kan vast nog wel komen Smile
als ik er dan om een uur of 9 ben? (misschien zelfs eerder) en we dan meteen beginnen is het geen probleem toch?
Smile

21-10-2006 13:35:17
nar Offline
Posting Freak

so, my fine adventuring peeps, are we playing this week? this is mostly directed at arik, ivm his tests...

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
06-11-2006 13:43:07
SageGenesis Offline

Yes. I have time tomorrow evening. And after the tests I did, I'll also need to unwind a little. Wink

07-11-2006 15:00:29

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;