Post Reply 
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
SageGenesis Offline
Moderator
*****

Posts: 6.105
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #76
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
The sun is reduced to only a slight orange glow over the treetops when the inn comes in sight. It's a three-story building made from wood and stone, well lit from fires within and a few oil lamps set on poles around and at the side of the road. There are stables and shelters for carriages, as well as a squat stronghouse where people can lock up valuables for the night. There's also some simple wooden docks where some fully laden river barges are resting in the flowing water. There's a few guards there, talking loudly, singing, or pissing in the river.

Servants already await outside, having spotted your own light from the carriage's lamp. They'll take care of the horses and vehicle.

Inside there's first the common room which is filled with people having a merry old time. It's a spacious place full of light, song, and wine. The air is thick with the smell of the end of a hard day's work. In fact, the entire place can be summed up as follows:

[Image: zFB6Y.jpg]


However, you are instead ushered through to a more private, classy room. This place is almost as big but far less occupied. There are three mercantile-looking men at a table, discussing trade over port and cheese. There's a nobleman's wife with a knightly escort, writing a letter. There's an elderly looking man who wears the garb of an architect, scholar, or other intellectual calling, currently in the process of dozing off with a brandy in hand.

And finally there's the innkeeper himself, a short balding man with a grand black mustache. Gavin knows him as Raeghel, a jovial fellow with the impressive talent to remember all faces and names that ever step foot inside his establishment.

"Gavin!" he smiles, "Welcome back to my humble place, son! The company you keep is growing ever more impressive I see. Mark my words lad, by Sarimie I swear, your star shall rise far indeed!"

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
04-10-2011 14:18:13
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #77
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
At the rear of the group Mr. Fenton Brass ensures the Boeruinian officer that although his friend Gavin can come across a bit posh and arrogant at times, he has a good and pious soul.

Brass also states that, while the Endieran merchant claims that Brass saved his life on multiple occasions, the reverse is also true; with well weighed words and some carefully placed palm-grease, Gavin saved his life a few times as well.

The big mercenary stresses the fact that Gavin does not do charity. He explains that his friend thinks that everyone should manage for themselves for as well as they can. If they can't, Gavin can and will facilitate their efforts, but will not net a loss because of it.

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
04-10-2011 18:16:57
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #78
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Gavin opens his arms heartily and shakes the bald innkeep's hand. "Raeghel, old fiend! How have you been? How's the wife?"Gavin smiles wickedly. "How's the daughter?"

The merchant gestures at his new friends. "These people are my new fiends and allies on our way to the top!" Gavin puts his shoulder around Rheaghel and walks a bit with him toward the fireplace. "As usual, I will provide mr. Brass and myself with two of your finer rooms, the rest are fully capable of paying for themselves, as they are all experienced soldiers and pastors and such."

Gavin smoothly slips Reaghal three silvers. "Make sure the Boeruinian officer gets acquainted with some of your itchier bedbugs tonight."

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
04-10-2011 18:17:28
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 2.338
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #79
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Olivia hears Gavin talk about everybody being able to pay for themselves, and starts eyeing the room for a potential benefactor for the night

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
04-10-2011 20:48:56
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #80
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
((OOC: one of the merchants might indeed be interested in a bed warmer.. or two.. ))

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
04-10-2011 21:11:26
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 2.338
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #81
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
((ooc: that all depends on how much this merchant is willling to pay))

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
04-10-2011 21:13:29
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #82
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
((OOC Gavin will probably pay for the two cheapest women available. (Of those that are allowed into the fancy section.) Whether Olivia is one of the two is entirely up to her.))

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
04-10-2011 22:42:04
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline
Moderator
*****

Posts: 6.105
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #83
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Raeghel smiles. "My daughter's off limits, friends. As you well know old dog," he says with a sly wink. He pockets the silver coins Gavin offers him and shows you to a table where a clay jug stands ready with warm, slightly spiced wine. "To get the chilly night's cold out of your bones," Raeghel says.

The three merchants seem to appreciate Olivia's company. They are tired and ready to wrap up business for the night and some entertainment wouldn't be amiss. The eldest amongst them is particularly willing to make full use of her services. He's not unpleasant or anything. He just had a live full of travel until one day he found out he'd become old. Not the ideal life to find a good spouse. He has enough money but not enough love of a woman, and he'll gladly exchange some of one for the other.

Meanwhile, Raeghel has arranged for two teenage girls to join your table to keep you company. Their names are Claire and Felicity, if you choose to believe that, and they're young enough to be pretty and ignorant of any schemes you'd like to discuss. Rhaegel also gently pulls aside Gavin for a moment. "I don't care if any girls of yours want to ply their trade here, but in the morning I'll expect a modest contribution for anything that took place under my roof. You understand, don't you?"

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
05-10-2011 01:06:30
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #84
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
((OOC: I apologise in advance to all the PC and NPC women this side of Cerilia))

Gavin scratches his short black beard. "Although I've been known to fondly travel with the fairer, pricier sex, would you believe me if I told you that until this evening I would have never guessed dear Olivia to be a whore? No, I did not expect you to. Never guessed would not be true either. Perhaps she is merely a slut, though, I don't know, I was not paying that much attention to her and the elder gentleman."

Gavin smiles at the innkeep. "I'm afraid the stories of helping the maiden in need are always heavily embossed with half-truths, anyway. That said, stories of helping out the whore in need always seem to be frowned upon by the stick-up-their-arse upper class.."

Gavin puts his arm around Raeghel. "Not to worry, I will try and explain to her how the life of a travelling whore works around here, perhaps even offer her my 'protection', if you get my meaning."

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
05-10-2011 11:53:43
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 1.931
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #85
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Ser Corvid and Brutus go straight up to the rooms to freshenup and settle in ((ooc: ward their rooms)) after some time they come back down changed and ready for dinner.

Ser Corvid is friendly to mr Gavins guests but otherwise uninterested, now and again he glances over to the noble woman and knight in the corner and tries to find, identify any sign or emblem, other than that it seems as though he wishes he was somewhere else and after dinner it becomse clear why, he gets up and leaves for the common room with the comment "its no fun if you pay for it" and with a wink he is off.

Brutus does not follow but enjoys the quiet and perhaps a conversation with a fellow soldier.

((ooc: Ser Corvid is not above using his divine powers to assist him, but the goal is to create a fun evening for all but not to end up with someone))

Licensed.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2011 14:49:52 by Knightwood.)
05-10-2011 20:41:39
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wolfy Online
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 1.826
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #86
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Linnias and his men enjoy a meal in the private 'common' room, before moving back to the first common room, where they mingle and enjoy a beer or two (or three, or even more). Before retiring for the evening. During this drinking they regale tales of their previous adventures, talk about the 'lords' they served, and just make sure that everyone who listens has a good time.

His men bed down in a room, while Linnias decides at the last moment to sleep in the hayloft over the stable. He's slept enough in a comfy bed that last couple of weeks, and he really wants to experience some 'rough' sleeping again. Though he sleeps like an ox (including the snoring), and wakes up completely refreshed.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
06-10-2011 12:48:52
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline
Moderator
*****

Posts: 6.105
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #87
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Raeghel looks up into Gavin's eyes with a look that is both merciful and disappointed, like a parent catching his child in a minor act of mischief.

"Gavin, boy... You want I should collect my share from the lady instead? She works hard for it and what manner of gentleman would do such a thing? Show yourself a true friend to her and me both tonight. You'll feel better for it in the morning."

Ser Corvid looks at the knight with the writing noblewoman and has no trouble at all recognizing the colors of his tunic. He is from Tireste, Ghoere's westernmost province. They likely are traveling downriver to the city of Anuire, possibly to attend the grand ball of the Presentation in a month. It's unlikely they are traveling upriver back home, because then they'd travel the same route as you did this day and you would have spotted them.

Linnias is a good storyteller and is a most welcome addition to the revelry. People buy him and his friends some nice ales to keep his throat smooth.


The next morning everybody wakes up to some lovely smells from the kitchen, except Linnias who slept in the hayloft. He gets some jokes about that. People assume he got so drunk last night that a strange mood overtook him and he fell asleep in the stables while chasing some weird scheme. There's a good breakfast awaiting everybody downstairs and while you eat the carriage is made ready for you.

And from here on out inland through the Moere province, eastward? Or do you first plan to take a slight detour further up to Moerel, capital city of this country?

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
06-10-2011 22:48:51
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #88
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Gavin smiles at his host. "Offcourse, I did not mean to offend. Here, this should be adequate." Gavin smoothly works one more silver coin in the innkeep's hand. "This should be few times the amount of a normal tithe, but consider this a friendly sweetener for all the good care you have given us tonight."

Gavin gestures at one of the empty tables in a corner of the room. "Care to have a drink with me, or are you very busy? I would like to talk business."

As the two sit down Gavin gestures his two new found female friends and a bottle of wine to the table. "As this is one of my favourite establishments along the Maesil, I would love to arrange to become one of your steady suppliers, and maybe, if you would be interested, invest in your inn as a silent partner of sorts. With your people skills and my business sense we could make senseless amounts of gold." Gavin sits back, sips his wine, and casually strokes Felicity's leg. "Just think about it, it's an open offer and I would not be insulted if the answer is no."

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
08-10-2011 10:39:27
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #89
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
While the riders mount up, the passengers in the carriage are getting settled with a cup of fresh lemon water. Gavin turns to Olivia. "There were some eye-openers for me this last evening. One of which is that you would rather share the bed with an old merchant, than ask your new friends for an advance on future revenues or a small loan. Or even propose to perform song and dance or housework for the five copper pennies to be allowed in the common hall to rest. You do know that I ended up paying your tithe to the keeper of the establishment, don't you?"

Gavin sits straight and adresses Vincenti. "The other one is that after a very impressive sermon, our pastor slinks into the background and lays low when the actual travels begin. Would you care to elaborate as to why we should be so paranoid in Diemed? Have you enemies here?"

Gavin smiles a broad, happy smile and sips his lemonwater. "Oh, how I love interesting new friends."

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 14:06:31 by Meer.)
10-10-2011 12:52:32
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 2.338
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #90
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
10-10-2011 13:05:05
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jazzper-11 Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 3.868
Joined: Jun 2007
Post: #91
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
"I did not inted to appear paranoid. It's just that traveling these roads brings back memories of my days before setteling in Anuire. As for the most pleasant stay last night, since I am married I have little interest in... some of the company we had last night. I was perfectly content to just have a quite drink and observe. As for todays travel: I suggest we keep our eyes on our goal. If we wish to solve this kidnapping mysterie and be back in time for the ball that is."

World's biggest squirrel!
10-10-2011 13:20:16
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #92
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Gavin leans out of the carriage to adress the Ghoeran knight and the carriage driver. "If we keep to the planned route, we should reach the wayside inn in the province of tier late this evening. What I understand about the place is that it is far less.. grand than Rheagel's."

The merchant looks worried. "Perhaps it is better to take Linnias' advice and make camp somewhere. Alternatively, if the roads and torches allow, we could press on for Rhoesone. This will be far from comfortable, though."

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
11-10-2011 16:44:24
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wolfy Online
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 1.826
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #93
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
"Sometimes comfort needs to be set aside for safety and/or speed. Be assured that me and my man are willing and used to guarding a wayside camp. So everyone should get enough sleep.

You and your carriage are the most limiting factor during this journey, so I will defer to your experience."

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
11-10-2011 21:28:33
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 2.338
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #94
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
I do fear that the carriage might attract the wrong kind of attention. I must remind you, that no matter what you saw last night, I am still a witch. Protection is something I can do. I can prepare a spell to protect our camp during the night. With the added protection of your guards kind ser, I do believe we would be safe from harm.

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
11-10-2011 21:36:20
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #95
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Gavin smiles again. "I am by no means concerned with safety." He gestures at the many horsemen surrounding the carriage. "It's the level of comfort I worry about. Mayhap you can cast a soften rock ritual?"

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
11-10-2011 21:57:27
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 1.931
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #96
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
"hahaha, some wizard humor, I like it. How about we talk about it until we reach the inn so we can judge for ourselves, at least we should be able to wash up and get some fresh supplies"

Licensed.
11-10-2011 22:46:22
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 5.966
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #97
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
At the height of the day, the travelling companions make a short stop at a crossroads to stretch their legs. Gavin and Fenton Brass put some distance between them and the group and discuss something in hushed voices just outside hearing range.

When they return to the group, Gavin addresses Olivia and ser Corvid. "If I understand correctly, the both of you have some skill in the arts of magic. I was not joking about trying to push on and ride through the night." Gavin looks worried. "I would be very happy if we were to reach a proper Inn in Roesone. The only limiting factor is the amount of light. We can not afford that our horses might fumble in the dark and break a leg."

Gavin smiles a helpful smile. "Is there anything one or both of you can do about this?"

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
18-10-2011 10:57:40
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 2.338
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #98
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
"I can make light if we need it and ward the horses from any harm. If that is what we need?"

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
18-10-2011 13:10:37
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak
*****

Posts: 1.931
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #99
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
"Gavin my man, you look worried and and all this effort to avoid a slightly uncomfortable in, If there is anything we should be worried about or look out for I trust you will let us know a little in advance" and, after giving Gavin a friendly pad on the back Ser Corvid walk off.

"So Linnias, you spend some time in the field I gather, tell me a tale of how you and your men bested an enemy champion or chased a notorious mercenary company off the field"

Licensed.
18-10-2011 13:42:33
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline
Moderator
*****

Posts: 6.105
Joined: Oct 2005
Post: #100
Birthright: Bloodlust (IC)
Spurred on with supernatural aid, the horses thunder through the night. By the time the sun is ready to peek over the horizon again, you spot the twinkling shimmer of moonlight on water; the Spider River, natural border between Medoere and Roesone. There's a small town on either side and ferry boats lie sleeping in the shallows. You will either have to settle for an inn still in Medoere (though with Roesone in sight), or you can find and wake a ferryman. Or steal the ferry I suppose.

The town is still quiet. It won't be a proper dawn for another half hour and nearly everybody is still asleep. Except, of course, for some guards.

Five men (or rather, boys who can barely grow a beard) approach politely. "Well met travelers. The hour is late to still be on the road. Is something amiss?"

Then he notices that Olivia's fire is not from a torch at all, but is instead a naked flame that hovers nearby.

The lads look nervous and frightened. "Look, we don't want any trouble, ok...?"

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
(This post was last modified: 18-10-2011 14:23:30 by MaszaH.)
18-10-2011 13:44:46
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;