Diplomacy, april to june
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
Good day to you one and all,

In the end of spring, perhaps the first days of summer I, Oddman, to the uninitiated known as Ot, will be hosting a Diplomacy game over a weekend. I am planning this waaaay ahead of time so the ones interested can keep their schedules cleared.
The idea is as follows:
My dad has given permission to use his domicile. That is nice because it is near most people (as opposed to my mother's domicile) and is spacious (unlike my own personal space which is very full with a mere couple). My father does not mind if people play Diplomacy here over a weekend.
Dinner and a bread-based meal will be provided twice. As well as bed and breakfast for those who come from sufficiently far away. Costs will be accounted, so this isn't a free thing. It will, however, be cheap and it will save you food for two days.
Spectators are allowed. Food for spectators will not be provided.
I will contact those who I think will be interested, even slightly, personally. I will then make up a list, ordered by the urgency of the wish to play. I will take the liberty to place myself at the top because I will be hosting and as such responsible. I will then find a weekend in which as many people as possible can participate. If any people are 'left dangling' they will be on the reserve list, for when a participant should fail to show up. The failing participant will be guaranteed to be grilled thoroughly for not showing up. Apart perhaps from the one who got to take his place.
We will use Seppe's Diplomacy game, currently located at my father's house. Rules used as printed except for game turn limit; we will have to discuss this. It will be decided upon agreement of all players.
For the ones eliminated from the game, there are plenty of other similar games on location: three variants of Axis and Allies, Civilisation, even ASL for the die-hards.

I'm looking forward to this.

Oddman out.
06-03-2006 12:43:22
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nar Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
out of curiosity, what is this Diplomacy game of which you speak?

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
07-03-2006 09:00:06
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
it is great!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29

Licensed.
07-03-2006 10:12:20
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
Thank you Melchior for that link.

Now, an update as to the whereabouts of the planning of this thing.
A little mutation to the plans has been conceived by yours truly: there will be two (2) games, one in The Hague, at my mom's place and one at the original location.

The first one will be in The Hague on Saturday the eighth of April.
Candidates include:

Oddman
Melchior and
Emmalien (Oddman's mom), these three will be present no matter what as they are organising the venture.

Further candidates are
Jelte
Mark
Seppe
Eelco
Arik and
Doortje (Oddman's sister), these are in no particular order.
Voh was interested only in spectating in Hilversum, Wolfy is unreachable for the moment. By the way, Ben, I don't have your phone number, so if you're interested I suggest you contact me instead.

I have decided to try making it in one day, having read in the Wiki article that games do not tend to take more than 12 hours. The morning, from 10 am onwards, will be spent illuminating the rules, then at lunch we will eat and distribute the powers. The game will go on as long as it needs to. There is plenty of room to sleep, so we don't need to take the train. (Apart from the fact that Nachtnet trains will go to Leiden and Utrecht.)

The second game will be in Hilversum as stated previously, on the first Saturday of May: the sixth.

For this, I will not start recruiting until after the first game, but Arik at least is interested. As are Melchior and I, of course.
11-03-2006 16:38:25
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
Ah, so that was the phonecall I missed yesterday Smile. Sorry I didn't call you back, but I kept on forgetting to do it.

About Diplomacy, not interested in playing or spectating. It just isn't my kind of game Smile.

So, have fun, and I'll see you guys sometime later (not monday though).

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
12-03-2006 15:59:43
nar Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
i think i may be interested in spectating...i've only briefly perused the wiki, but i get the impression that i would be better off watching this game being played before doing it myself...'specially when people who already know and love it are involved Wink

as the dates become more concrete i'll be able to let you know if i'll be present or not...as far as giving you a call, ot, i'm afraid i don't have your number either...:/ i'm sure i can score it tho...Smile

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
12-03-2006 22:22:07
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
Nar, there will be plenty of other folks who have never played the game. Even more who have never played it properly. I, myself, am one of those people. I have, however, played a few turns and I really liked it.

Anyway, spectating is good fun too.

The dates, by the way, are concrete. The Hague: April 8th, Hilversum: May 6th.
13-03-2006 15:25:59
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
Indeed,
so I am pleased to announce preleminary practrice rounds things
aka
combined with a friendly gathering over a meal, the game diplomacy will be played!
this is for those who feel they could use a little tryingout to see if this game is for them and what the hype is alabout or just like the dinner social bit. yes.
so usually this takes place on wendsdays and so for lots of people have informed me they would like to try it out in this method, like: Melchior Geert Marzaa Mark Jelte Geert. Would you like to participate? Call someone! if you are lucky (or smart) you will call one of us (me) and we can set something up Smile
Joy to the world!

Licensed.
17-03-2006 16:32:09
SageGenesis Offline

Diplomacy, april to june
(me) Melchior Wrote:lots of people have informed me they would like to try it out in this method, like: Melchior Geert Marzaa Mark Jelte Geert.
So... do we know two seperate Geerts, or has this fellow mastered the esoteric art of self-replication? Because if so, I accuse him of cheating at Diplomacy right away.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
17-03-2006 16:46:41
MaszaH Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
(me) Melchior Wrote:Marzaa
soooo thats an interesting way to write my name...

don't underestimate the cosmic power of french toast!
17-03-2006 18:33:25
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
damn you said you wouldnt tell anyone.. now i will have to put the monster down..
now weres my journal?

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
20-03-2006 16:09:42
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
ik heb slecht nieuws voor de diplomacy crew :S

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
03-04-2006 12:15:04
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Diplomacy, april to june
So, it is now the ninth of April and that means the Game has passed.
What follows is a report by yours truly, writing from the scene of many (war)crimes.
Saturday, 9:45 am, four people arrive in the Hague. 11:00, everybody's settled down, the rules have been explained and the Powers have been distributed:
England: Emmalien
Germany: Melchior
France: Eelco
Turkey: Doortje
Russia: Mark
Austria-Hungary: yours truly.
Italy was in civil disorder, its leaders having failed to show up at any bargaining tables.
The early years where characterized by a scramble for provinces and a distinct lack of clear alliances. France and England ended up in many disagreements, therefore causing Belgium to change ownership many times. Germany remained carefully sideless, a wise move. In the north, petty squabbles between Germany and Russia divided Scandinavia. In the Balkans, it was a rush for provinces followed by an uneasy truce. Austria-Hungary at one point giving up Serbia to please the Turks. Appeasement never works.
After a year or two, Russia had become alarmingly huge. Pressure in the North from Germany and from the South from Turkey and Austria-Hungary caused the mighty bear to falter and retreat to its home provinces, the Balkans ending up Ottoman once again.
Meanwhile, in the North, France decided to make a stab at Belgium, which had been placed under the auspices of the Germans. This did not please the Boche and their armies moved from Prussia to the West Front, giving the beleaguered Russians a much-needed break. France, on the other hand, suffered: the Germans pushing in the north, the Austrians (having "liberated" the Italian people from their incompetent oppressors) attacking in the soft underbelly of the beast. This while France was busily invading the British Isles.
Then, in Fall 1904, something happened. The Austrians made a bold bid for power, upsetting the balance in the Balkans and making an ill-fated stab at Munich with a very suspicious-looking army in Tyrolia. This took the Turk by surprise, and they lost their foothold on the Balkan mainland, only fleets keeping the Turkish presence in Greece and Bulgaria. This skyrocketed the Austrians to an impressive 12 supply centers. Unfortunately for them, only 3 extra units could be built and now the whole of Europe was arrayed against them. The stab for power failed to generate enough momentum.
In the mean time, France had evicted the English and was busy getting his armies to the front and Germany had muscled Russia out of Scandinavia.
The rest of the game was a bit of a stalemate, the Austrians fighting bravely in the Balkans, gaining some, even, but giving away bits of Italy to Germany and bits of France and Iberia back to the French.
This went on for three more years and then we decided to call it quits.

Next game, May 6th, in Hilversum. Looking forward to it already.
Interested parties as of yet:
"Wilhelm 1 1/2" Melchior
"Franz Wiljes" Ot
Arik
09-04-2006 10:48:36

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;