Other Geeky Things
nar Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Other Geeky Things
christ. wailing on that poor gobbo for XP... why did i never think of that?!

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
12-01-2018 09:58:05
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goldylox Offline
Parental Control Group

Sick......Poor goblins

Miew mriewiew mrrr mriew prrrr!!!
12-01-2018 13:40:10
SageGenesis Online

So this looks stupid... and I want to try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfvBdZhNspA

Remember those guys who did the Star Trek videogame where his arms got stuck raised up all the time? They're playing a VR game now, where you're a Star Trek bridge crew. Things go about as well as you'd expect it to.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
19-01-2018 22:02:09
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Hahahaha
vet.

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
19-01-2018 22:04:54
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Online

Part 35: The Anti-Life Equation

This is about chapter 24. It’s called “Anti-Life” so I guess it must be of great interest to Darkseid. Spoiler alert: Anti-Life turns out to be unconditional love.

The chapter is about 40 pages long but I’m confident that a skilled writer could’ve done it in five. As usual the same point is just repeated over and over and over. In this case, it’s about Cherryl, the wife of James Taggart. Remember her? She was this little shop girl who was impressed by him because she thought all of the grand achievements were his, unaware that he’s really just a mooching lowlife.

Well about that…

The chapter begins with several incidents where Cherryl basically realizes the truth. But not realizing it quite enough, I guess, because then it moves on to the next incident where she glimpses the truth all over again.

For real. It goes like, “And then Cherryl was at a party and James was horrible and she feared him. And then this other time she was suddenly scared of what James said. Oh! And I mustn’t forget to tell you about that time when she grew fearful because-“

Yes! We get it! Shut up already!

The final straw is when James and some co-conspirators got together with some of their counterparts from Argentina. They concocted a sinister masterstroke: Argentina would become a People’s State and they would… wait for it… nationalize the mines of Francisco d’Anconia! Yes! Brilliant!

Except… uh… didn’t you already try this back in Mexico? And it went down really poorly for you all? Because his famed mines turned out to be shit? I mean… are you really sure you want to go over this again?

I can’t help but shake a feeling like…

Gentlemen! Behold! Copper!
Oh! Yay! You know, this is pretty nice! Yeah I am kinda greedy.
Good! Then let the failing begin! Aahahahahahaaaaaa!

~ Later ~

Gentlemen! I bring you: more copper!
Yeah I dunno man. I mean after last time…
This time, shall be different! Hahahahaaa!
Yeah well alright. ‘Cuz I am greedy again.
It’s not different at all! Is it James?! Aahahahahahaaaaaa!

So yeah, calling it now: this plan won’t work like they expect it to.

Anyway, James doesn’t know all that yet. He thinks he’s negotiated a big stunt and feels like celebrating. He’s not sure where to go so he goes home to Cherryl, but the latter is in a glum mood. She’s catching on to James and his ways and she’s not happy about it. While she started out as an ignorant blue collar girl, she’s learned and grown as a person. In the past she didn’t understand the strange ways of the elite because she didn’t know enough. Now she doesn’t understand their ways because she knows plenty.

They get into a fight and James admits that he wants her to love him for… just the sake of loving him. Not because of his looks, or what he says, or does, or owns. Just for himself. Naturally this is a horrific thing which proves that he is a shapeless man who kills for the sake of killing.

Just… just go with it, ok?

Cherryl can’t take it anymore and gets out. She makes her way over to Dagny’s place, to whom she apologizes. She always used to think Dagny was bad and James was awesome, but now she knows the truth: it was actually Dagny who was the great mind behind the John Galt line! And James is just a rotter whose ideas of accomplishments is just backroom deals and corruption.

Uh, excuse me?

It was Hank Rearden who designed the miraculous Metal, which he used to design a new bridge for the John Galt Line. He also made other essential contributions, such as designing new tools which could handle greater stress to speed up the process.

Dagny? She begged someone else for money and threatened local mayors and judges not to interfere with her plans. Which is exactly the kind of thing that James also does!

Dagny is not a hero. She is just as bad as her brother. Just… just look at her actions. Look at them!

So anyway, Cherryl can go fuck herself.

The two discuss their Randian philosophy, which is the same shit recycled all over again we’ve seen a dozen times now. Mercy is weakness, true justice means acting without emotions, etcetera. This is your basic Cyberman propaganda.

Back home, James receives a visitor of his own: Skeletor! And Skeletor has grave news, as Hank is going to divorce her and he’s bought all the judges and bureaucrats so there’s nothing she can do. They will separate and she will be left with absolutely nothing.

Once again, perverting a court of law is only bad when other people do it. I know I keep hammering on this but the blatant hypocrisy of this novel is unhinged.

Skeletor has no more influence over elite society because of this. She’s basically begging James for some help. But James remains unmoved. Except for one thing: she’s technically still the wife of Hank Rearden, and so he has sex with her. Because when Skeletor cheats on Hank, it is “an act in celebration of the triumph of impotence.” But when Hank cheats on Skeletor, it is “an act in celebration of life.”

Lastly, Cherryl arrives back home later and finds out what happened. The two argue again and she finds out how bad James is again. Except now she can’t take it anymore… because she received a pep talk from Dagny? Or something? The novel is terribly confused at this point because it wants to reach the symbolic climax of Cherryl’s journey, which ends in suicide. She runs away from home, wanders the streets for a bit, and then chucks herself into a river. But the symbolism doesn’t flow neatly from the narrative. She already realized all of this stuff before and was recently bolstered from her talk with Dagny. If talking to James became too much for her at that moment, she could just return to Dagny, who called her a sister in spirit.

Oh well. Cherryl is dead and the chapter’s over.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
20-01-2018 14:21:19
nar Offline
Posting Freak

what a superb begin to sunday ^^

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
21-01-2018 11:14:45
SageGenesis Online

Part 36: Radiant Greed

Shit’s breaking down. That’s really what it boils down to. It simple stuff, like a copper wire breaking, but there’s no replacement materials. No copper wire, no nails, no paint, no machine parts. The whole country is run on nepotism and the sheer inefficiency of it all is causing civilization to grind down. No – to bleed out.

As concepts go, it’s not a bad one. An apocalypse that goes not with a bang but a whimper. Like, how does this affect prisons? Are the inmates left to starve to death? Are they set free? Neither of them are desirable but when put in an impossible position, what else is there to do? And when will the military decide that the government is a domestic enemy and stage a coup? Will we see massive oil spills, planes dropping on suburbs, violent revolution?

But this is Atlas Shrugged, so… none of that for us. We do kind of hear about stuff like that, like a throwaway line from a character who mentions a newspaper article about California trying to secede, but all of that is far too interesting to explore so we stick with Dagny all the way, who does nothing but talk to people.

Or in this case, getting talked at by her brother James. And as always it’s something we’ve seen before: the place is awful, he demands she fixes things, but she’s not allowed to change the system and the root causes of the problems. So it’s impossible.

At the end of the conversation he turns on the radio, expecting to hear news about the glorious success in South America and all that sweet copper they’ve nationalized. But that’s not how it goes down. All of Francisco’s mines and assets were either worthless, or they all blew up earlier that morning. Francisco saw this coming and sabotaged the whole lot. The news report says that all personnel was sent out first, but you can’t blow up dozens of warehouses and harbor sections and cargo ships without any damage to the environment or other people’s property. Thanks Francisco, you insufferable asshole, building deathtrap villages for your own workforce wasn’t good enough for you, was it?

Oh and James? Remember when I said it would be just like Mexico? It's kind of exactly like Mexico, isn't it? Ya dumb schmuck.

Dagny goes to see Hank at a restaurant. They talk about how doomed the world is and then at the end, there’s this automated giant calendar on top of a building. It’s been mentioned several times before in in the book but it’s never been relevant before. Now though, the page turns and there’s a giant “fuck all y’all” final farewell from Francisco on it. How did he do that? And when? Questions which will remain unanswered because Atlas Shrugged wants to look at people talking, not on people doing interesting heists.

Later Hank receives an unwelcome visit from his brother, who says he wants a job at the plant. But Hank’s brother is useless garbage and so he’s told to suck it. There’s also the kid whose unofficial job is spying on Hank, but the kid has had enough and wants to enjoy an honest job. But that’s impossible because his masters would never allow it. I suppose there’s some illustrative contrast between the two, the brother demanding a job because he wants one, and the kid apologetically requesting one because he wants to make an earnest living. The kid does deliver a warning though: there’s something fishy going on at the plant. The shadowy powers that be are smuggling hired goons into the workforce for some sinister purpose.

More stuff goes wrong in the world. It’s all a bit same-y so I’ll skip it, although it does include a lovely bit of racism where Dagny thinks of the people of India as unhygienic savages.

Then some more things go wrong with the railroad and Dagny springs into action to save the day! Which means… she talks to some people and instructs them on how to do their jobs. How exciting.

But then!

Amongst her workforce, she spots John Galt! Her love for him has, and I quote, “the same inexhaustible quality as radiant greed.”

Radiant. Greed.

That’s what your love is like? We’ve reached the point where even Ferengi would tell you to tone it down a notch.

She walks off to a secluded section, knowing John will follow her. And when the two are alone…

Oh boy! Ohboyohboyohboy! Now we’re talking. Now we’re getting to the smut.

Hang on, hang on.

I’ll just dim the lights, put on some candles, get myself ready to read some top-notch filth.

And here we go…

Quote:Then she was conscious of nothing but the sensations of her body, because her body acquired the sudden power to let her know her most complex values by direct perception. Just as her eyes had the power to translate wave lengths of energy into sight, just as her ears had the power to translate vibrations into sound, so her body now had the power to translate the energy that had moved all the choices of her life, into immediate sensory perception.

What.

The.

Fuck.

Aw hell, it’s Atlas Shrugged. I don’t even know why I expected anything else.

04-02-2018 16:35:28
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

Quote:We’ve reached the point where even Ferengi would tell you to tone it down a notch.

Wow, okay, wow... what?

This really is not a good book Grin But your version is an entertaining read Wink

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
04-02-2018 17:33:13
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nar Offline
Posting Freak

did... did Dagny have a stroke?

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
05-02-2018 12:59:04

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
float: right;