Miscellaneous (RPGs in general)
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

hahaha ^_^

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
04-11-2010 13:18:57
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wolfy Offline
Posting Freak

Ik ben het zat om te wachten op het The Laundry fysieke boek. Dus ik ben vandaag maar begonnen met printen op goed papier. Van het weekend even een mapje halen waar het netjes inpast, en dan binnenkort eens kijken wie het leuk lijkt om in de wereld van The Laundry te spelen Smile

Voor wie niet precies weet waar ik het over heb, hier een paar links naar korte verhalen van Charles Stross in The Laundry universe.

http://www.goldengryphon.com/Stross-Concrete.pdf
http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/07/down-on-the-farm
http://www.tor.com/stories/2009/12/overtime

Enjoy.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2010 22:06:49 by (me) Melchior.)
04-11-2010 21:09:40
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

wolfy Wrote:Ik ben het zat om te wachten op het The Laundry fysieke boek. Dus ik ben vandaag maar begonnen met printen op goed papier. Van het weekend even een mapje halen waar het netjes inpast, en dan binnenkort eens kijken wie het leuk lijkt om in de wereld van The Laundry te spelen Smile

Voor wie niet precies weet waar ik het over heb, hier een paar links naar korte verhalen van Charles Stross in The Laundry universe.

http://www.goldengryphon.com/Stross-Concrete.pdf
http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/07/down-on-the-farm
http://www.tor.com/stories/2009/12/overtime

Enjoy.

That is ...surprisingly entertaining!
08-11-2010 14:20:27
SageGenesis Online

Back when Dragon Magazine still was on paper and had a column to write to, people asked the weirdest things. And now some kind people have selected 11 particularly hilarious ones.
See for yourself.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
17-12-2010 14:04:00
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Online

A man by the name of "Old Geezer" (was involved with the creation of D&D, played with Gygax and such) had the following insightful comment about why our table-top games are different from computer games.

Old Geezer Wrote:If you give a bunch of TTRPG player characters a quest to "collect 7 octopus spleens", it's pretty much guaranteed that the LAST thing they will do is

1) jump into water
2) find octopus
3) kill octopus
4) cut out its spleen
5) repeat while spleens < 7

whereas in a computer game, that's the ONLY thing you can do.

But PCs will say "Shit, anybody can do THAT. Obviously, we need to find some backwards tribe of underwater crab-men that use octopus spleens as currency, and get the octopus spleens by catching them in a game of three-card monty. Now, where to find the crab-men. Quick, to the nearest dockside tavern to look for rumors!"

...you know, this damn adventure just wrote itself.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
22-12-2010 15:29:48
AlfaGirl Offline
Posting Freak

*like* Smile

"MacGyver" is the equivalent of Vulcan vintage human horror television.
22-12-2010 15:36:39
SageGenesis Online

[Image: gamenouveau.jpg]

23-01-2011 14:00:03
SageGenesis Online

HELL YES!

[Image: RBP1T.jpg]

09-04-2011 13:37:43
SageGenesis Online

Ok so you know the song "Like a G6"? In case you need some freshing up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY

Even if it's just for a minute. So you know the song. Yeah? Ok? Got it?

Now...
Roll a D6

03-05-2011 15:05:19
goldylox Offline
Parental Control Group

Hell yeah!

Miew mriewiew mrrr mriew prrrr!!!
03-05-2011 15:43:26
AlfaGirl Offline
Posting Freak

hehehe funny Smile

03-05-2011 19:14:33
SageGenesis Online

Behold the alien grace of the Gelatinous Cube.

04-05-2011 18:27:13
nar Offline
Posting Freak

woah O_O

now just imagine one of these things leaping at your bard to devour him ^^

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
04-05-2011 19:07:59
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

That's pretty scary if that thing jumps at you Smile

04-05-2011 19:21:51
SageGenesis Online

nar Wrote:now just imagine one of these things leaping at your bard to devour him ^^

I believe the traditional response is: "Go ahead, you can have him."

Wink

04-05-2011 20:06:24
AlfaGirl Offline
Posting Freak

But... It's so pretty! And it would be even more fun if there was a bard inside there bouncing along ^_^

05-05-2011 08:01:23
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

^_^

05-05-2011 09:43:11
SageGenesis Online

Ok, wow. So a guy on RPGnet just decided to do a little bit of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with his friends, using the old, old RPG from the 80's (this predates even the cartoon I think). Thing is though, the game is so weird that the results are... well they're worth a read, that's for sure.

Copy-pasted here for your amusement.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness.

First off, there's no denying the criticisms of Palladium's house system, but we're playing this in the spirit it was written back in the day it was written in. Straight by the book, no deliberate deviations. We've had huge fun playing older games without modifying or updating them, and using all the mechanical awfulness as fuel for riffing cool shit.

TMNT&OS + Pal's system provide so much meat for this grinder.

Cracking these books open, and rolling random characters was such a blast for me - like I was a being basted in buttery nostalgia, like a fat golden brown turkey.

The basic setup is... it is 1985, you are in an RV, and you are being chased by...

When pitching it, I said "dot dot dot" at the end.

That's it really - mutants in a busted-ass Bago running from the feds, the secret feds, state and local LEO, the mob, some ninjas, a murder society, future killers, and their own personal nemesis. Behind them, a gas station is exploding. Go!

My players are the regular miscreants in my Wednesday game - called SH, JM, and JW.

All had some contact with Palladium games before, and with TMNT. I made it clear that characters would be randomly generated, Attributes rolled as described straight down the line, and background and mutations and animals as the tables dictate.

Originally, we thought JW would not be able to make it, so we started doing chargen with SH and JM rolling characters from the TMNT core. JW suggested I roll his character for him, so I decided to use Transdimensional TMNT, which remains one of my fave gaming books ever.

So the dice fall, and I end up rolling a lost cross-dimensional wanderer who's not a mutant, but a regular citizen from a world were people are stegasauroid dino-dudes. Full looks, hands, speech, biped, but with a huge spiky tail and a computer science degree. I roll shite for his stats though.

But then the call comes in, and JW will be joining us, so I scrap the dino-nerd, because seeing what people roll up is half the fun.

The characters!

SH rolled up...

Quote:Doctor Monkey, MD, master of disguise and chemist extraordinaire.

In addition to being a medical doctor, Doctor Monkey is also a ninja. This is because AWESOME, that's why. Doctor Monkey will heal you... or kill you, with his bandoleer of throwing hypodermics. He's got a Haitian medical degree, and is unaccountably a master of disguise and impersonation. Despite being monkey. There didn't seem to be any rules for doing impersonations while being a monkey, so I shrugged and allowed it. I mean... a monkey talking his way into a missile base by pretending to be General Brodie wouldn't be the weirdest thing to happen at my gaming table. Or the weirdest thing to happen that night.

Doctor Monkey is also the only member of the group with a real voice. The other two talk with psychic mojo, so they can't make phone calls.

JM rolled up...

Quote:Like his namesake in the classic Jimmy Stewart move Harvey, Harvey is a 6-foot-tall anthropomorphic rabbit. Except that he is visible. And a ninja. And can bench press a volkswagon -- BUS. And makes the best damn dandelion wine you've ever tasted.

So Harvey is this beautiful example of how to abuse the fucking shit out of Palladium's physical skills. Already strong, with all the ways to add to Physical Strength, he ends up with a strength score of 35. With his empty hands, he does +20 damage. If he had a gun, he'd be much better off hitting somebody with it than shooting them with it. He initially had all these hunting/fishing skills until I asked, "Isn't he a rabbit? So... a herbivore?" He's got the mind talk psychic power because it was cheaper than speech. This kind of thinking is exactly what I remember from being a kid playing this game. "Looks? Who the hell wants to look human? I want to be three size categories bigger!"

He kept the cooking skill though. I love the image of Harvey and Doctor Monkey together. Harvey is this huge visible rabbit, Doctor Monkey MD is this tiny simian. With the alignment of their backgrounds, it is determined that they were trained by the same master - Australian Aborigine ex-SAS black book operative who journeyed to the East where he became embroiled in secret ninja wars, being initiated into a ninja clan. So, urbane educated monkey and thuggish backwoods hillbilly rabbit.

They don't just fight crime.

They fight everybody.

Then, JW arrived, and I turned over Transdimensional to him, because at least one character should be from somewhere really weird.

He rolls, getting...

Quote:Krebulonne, The Gentle
This retrograde devolved human from the future looks like a disturbing cross between a real life anime caricature and a human baby with distressingly large eyes. His massive intellect generates a variety of psionic effects, including extended ectoplasmic arms and the ability to gently bob along through the air. S/he can usually be found wetly adhered to the back of someone's head, his mental fingers literally planted in the mental recesses of his current host. He has nothing to his name save a cute mouse baby nightie, a baby bjorne carrier, and agent "OhSweetJesusmakeitstop...", who is his telepathic thrall. He is benevolent, naive and the most horrific randomly rolled thing I've ever seen.

One of those mutant human characters - he's a floating head, with little vestigial body. As JW was trying to parse the skill system, and deal with all the extra packages, programs, secondary skills, and other nonsense, this was said.

"I am tired of this skill system. I shouldn't have come."

"Why?" I ask.

"It makes me feel like a War Criminal"

He proceed to take us to school, showing how to abuse the skill system proper.

And as this happens, the riffing about Krebulonne's origins continues. He's from the far far distant future, from the undersea land of Narcotopia where it is impossible to be unhappy (like literally, if you're unhappy something zaps your brain and makes you happy), and all your belongings are made from your own living clonemeat. Your house... your chair... your car... all made from you. This includes the meat you eat. Narcotopians bud meat seeds they can plant which will grow fabulous meat melons, but they will not grow in the ancient soils of primordial pre-civilized Earth.

Krebulonne has been the guest of the US secret government since 1975, held in a secret underground base under Deer Park, Maryland. Three braces of the secret fed have been struggling over control over the Deer Park facility for most of that time - the faction that wants to use Krebulonne to make super technology, the part that wants to vivisect him to learn how to grow an army of super meat Rambos, and the part that's fucking terrified of the communist future. Krebulonne talks in a sweet high pitched voice, and knows nothing of "property" or "possessions". To Krebulonne, all one owns is one's body. He's been an Outside Context Problem for the commue-fearing cold war Fed. They're trying to figure out how to avert the horrors of the Red Future. What they don't know is that Kreb's future is like a million years down the pipe- after the bomb, after the mutants, after the fall of man, after the machine empire, after the roach empire, after the fungus empire, after the scourging, after the regreening, after it all. All they know from their primitive temporal scanners is that he's from the future, he's a commie, and sometimes he tries to eat polyps that grow on his body.

Since he's tiny and baby-sized, he's currently being worn in a Baby Bjorn by Agent Ohsweetjesus, an operative of Project B.O.O.K. who 'assisted' Kreb in his escape. He's named this, because Krebulonne doesn't understand human minds, but can read them, and this is what's running around and around in the agent's brain as he's being controlled with the hideous psychic might of the tiny kawaii future human. In his own era, Krebulonne is basically a mechanic and tech support nerd. but since vehicles are basically clone meat servos made from your own DNA, you have to mind control them to drive. And since the only way to "turn it off then turn it on again" is with the Boxing and Medical skill, he's really good at both.

Agent Ohsweetjesus is driving, because he's the only one who knows how.

In addition to those I already have hunting them (NSA-FEMA, CIA, Project BOOK, FBI, State and Local LEO, the media, the Gambino family, the Seven Demons Secret Murder Society, the Fist Clan, and Killers from the Future) they're also hunted by a motorcycle gang of mutated reptiles after Harvey got involved in "basically, Roadhouse", a rogue Colonel from a Special Weapons division, and Nemesis Joe, which is what you get if you force-feed Krebulonne's polyp growths to a unfortunate janitor.

Here's the thing - my group is awesome.

It is a brilliant sign when you have so much fun just doing chargen.

I was googling 1985 to get plugged in. Going to build my playlist. We Are the World. Oh yeah. And Teenwolf. Fucking TEENWOLF. I don't know how, but they're going to be at the premier.

05-05-2011 20:02:59
AlfaGirl Offline
Posting Freak

SageGenesis Wrote:... since vehicles are basically clone meat servos made from your own DNA, you have to mind control them to drive. And since the only way to "turn it off then turn it on again" is with the Boxing and Medical skill, he's really good at both.

hihihi...

06-05-2011 08:07:19
SageGenesis Online

I lol'd

12-05-2011 18:10:30
goldylox Offline
Parental Control Group

SageGenesis Wrote:Ok so you know the song "Like a G6"? In case you need some freshing up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY

Even if it's just for a minute. So you know the song. Yeah? Ok? Got it?

Now...
Roll a D6

[Image: gu_20110524.jpg]

Miew mriewiew mrrr mriew prrrr!!!
26-05-2011 12:15:49
SageGenesis Online

Iron Kingdoms RPG taking shape.

21-06-2011 11:42:51
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Grin

21-06-2011 12:12:37
nar Offline
Posting Freak

JLT* Wrote:Grin

and not to mention:
yes yes yes! Grin

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
21-06-2011 13:23:09
my_machine_ Offline

*psst* is dit niet wat voor jullie? hij schijnt heel grappig te zijn ;D
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970948/
21-06-2011 22:15:54

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;