More 4th edition
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Articles from the new online Dragon magazine.

A demonic cult of Orcus.
Warforged, new rules and racial paragon paths.
The demon-lord Yeenoghu, patron of the gnolls.
More toys for the wizard, nine new illusions.

Overall I'm quite pleased. The "raw" 4e is good, but very strongly focused. But we're getting more info on monsters, races, and classes alike. The warforged needed their components. The wizard was really low on illusions, compered to older editions. And so far none of it looks like it's stronger than the core books, just different. Because we all know how that can work out.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
17-06-2008 09:39:13
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Another Dragon article I felt like sharing.

Playtesting a new class, the artificer.

A very interesting twist on the theme. The original 3.5 artificer was king of making magic items, dealing with constructs, and buffing people (or rather their equipment) in various unbalanced ways. This new artificer has lost all that and yet remains a real artificer. He now boosts magic items rather than making them, creates short-lived magical gadgets, and has a strong alchemist vibe. Also, there's some really clever things done with the system; their utility powers look good, in theme, and fun.

(And I must now seriously recreate Mayberry in 4th edition...)

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
03-07-2008 11:11:10
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
New cartoon, with the Red Dragon!

It's funny.

11-09-2008 09:44:33
nar Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
Quote:XP XP XP XP!

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2008 10:15:09 by SageGenesis.)
11-09-2008 10:14:53
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Druids

Or at least the first two levels of them. And it looks potent, druid-y, and not really more powerful than the PHB. Not to mention ten times as good as the druids some third party hacks threw together.

Oh and it's not a spellcasting dire bear, that has another dire bear as a pet that by itself outclasses the party fighter. So we can safely say it's not like the 3e druid. Which is good.

01-12-2008 12:38:52
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
Looking good Smile

I could see myself playing a druid with some next campaign.
As long as I can wield lasers..

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
01-12-2008 18:11:59
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nar Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
there will be no druid lasers (*cough* *cough* *in the hands of players* *cough*)

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
02-12-2008 12:47:44
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
You may have noticed that the link to the druids above is no longer functional, unless you're a paying member of DDI.

Boy, we sure are unable to watch it now. Aren't we gang?

07-12-2008 15:27:40
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
There has been a lot of questions about warlocks, most notably the Star pact. While some pacts require a good charisma score (Dark pact, Fey pact), and some require a good constitution (Infernal pact), the Star pact requires both. And of course all four of them benefit from having good intelligence.

And so there has been questions about why Star pact depends on two (or three, rather) ability scores without apparently providing more benefits. We need wonder no more!

Quote:To Whom or What It May Concern:

Thank you for contacting the offices of the Unspoken Void Beyond the Ken of Mankind. We consider all of our pact-sworn warlocks valuable assets in our long-term strategy whose implications are as wholly beyond mortal comprehension as an architect's drawings are to a writhing insect, and your continued debasement before the altar of ultimate insanity is important to us.

In regards to your specific query re: "Why do I need to be persuasive AND tough to cast spells?" our galactic-cluster representative has made the following statement:

BLESSED AND DAMNED ARE THE MINIONS OF SHUB-NIGGURATH, MOTHER OF ALL DESTRUCTION, BASTION OF CHAOS, WHISPERER OF THE UNSPEAKABLE. YOU SHALL WORSHIP HER GREATNESS WITH EVERY OUNCE OF YOUR BODY AND SOUL, AND FOR SO DOING YOUR EVENTUAL HORRIFIC DEATH WILL HAVE ITS EXCRUCIATING TIMESPAN REDUCED SLIGHTLY ON THE DAY WHEN AT LAST THE BLACK SUN SHINES AND THE END OF HOURS IS UPON US. CHAOS BLACKNESS EMO PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER.

We hope this statement clears up any confusion, or alternately, instills a deeper and more terrifying level of confusion upon your personal mortal plane of existence.

We will devour your soul,
Star Pact Unlimited

13-12-2008 20:59:07
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
haha thats cool

Licensed.
14-12-2008 20:40:26
nar Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
extremely Grin

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
15-12-2008 13:53:26
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
nice Grin

15-12-2008 15:22:06
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Somebody with a talent for comedy has analyzed D&D in the context of Maoism...

Quote:Let's ignore for the moment that D&D doesn't talk about the class struggle, or religious conflict, or the historical diadactic. It is after all a game about killing things and taking their stuff, not a comprehensive view of society. I think the politics of the alignment system have been covered fairly well, but there are two things I'd like to talk about.

First off, D&D is at heart a colonial game. The correspondence between the good races and western European culture, and the identification of the monstrous humanoids with the so-called indigenous savage is entirely accurate. The gameplay of D&D focuses on 'good' races entering the wild to ravage the resources of the indigenous people with no regard to the number of innocent people killed. As a colonial narrative, D&D justifies the exploitation of the third world. There is no difference between raiding a dungeon and using military and economic force to strip African countries of their natural resources for the economic benefits of global corporations. D&D treats the world as a resource to be exploited, not as place to live in.

The other unexamined political factor is the level system. D&D explicitly posits that some people are better than others, and that the vast majority of the proletariat are powerless against the adventurer-imperialist thugs. Even a mid-level adventuring group can destroy a village in a single evening. Power is concentrated in the hands of a military-magic(scientific) elite. As robertliguori discussed, this is portrayed as a natural, and even beneficial way to organize the world. D&D focuses on the power of the exceptional, to the exclusion of the average citizens ability to change the world. Villagers should dream of becoming adventurers, or retire to their dirt farms to work and die.

The classist, colonialist, imperialist meta-narrative of Dungeons & Dragons represents the worst features of romantic bourgeoisie liberalism. We can only hope that WotC will come to their senses and release an edition that empowers the proletarian class struggle.

24-12-2008 10:54:24
Jazzper-11 Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
Overthinking things maybe a little too much? =)

World's biggest squirrel!
24-12-2008 11:53:05
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Bit what if I like being an adventurer-imperialist thug?

24-12-2008 12:10:15
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Kids, it's time for another "D&D Experience weekend" and that means people have been so kind as to scan PHB2 preview material and leak it into the intertubes.

Behold!

Characters are:
* A deva shaman (Deva is more or less what the aasimar used to be)
* Goliath barbarian
* Warforged warden
* Elf sorcerer
* Tiefling invoker
* Gnome bard
* Half-orc avenger

You can click on the words right above the pictures for a bigger version. To save you some eyestrain.

01-02-2009 00:52:52
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
WotC has given us an early preview of PHB3: the witchalok, of Penny Arcade fame.

"Witchaloks are the heirs of a billion-year heritage of baleful sorcery

01-04-2009 07:04:28
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
blarp! hahahaha!

Licensed.
01-04-2009 09:04:33
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
Awesome Smile. Jasper, can I change classes to Witchalok?
01-04-2009 09:58:07
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
hahaha nice Smile

@Ben; is die foolsgrovedelve niet een idee voor de 1 april sessie? Tongue

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2009 11:32:35 by Meer.)
01-04-2009 11:28:24
nar Offline
Posting Freak

More 4th edition
lol, we *could* do that...i'll have it with me anyhow Wink

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
01-04-2009 17:28:24
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Nature DC 20: The teeth and claws of adamantine dragons can slice through the thickest armor. Adamantine dragons breathe powerful blasts of thunder energy that produce powerful aftershocks.

Slice through the thickest armor? No kidding when the beastie attacks vs Reflex! Yikes

13-04-2009 10:51:34
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Also, new stuff about familiars (that you can't access but I'll paste some from 4chan):

[quote]Beholderkin Familiar
A spherical creature with a large central eye and a few eyes on stalks, the beholderkin is the chosen familiar of chaotic mages.
Senses low-light vision
Speed fly 8 (hover)

Constant Benefits
You gain a +2 bonus to Perception checks.
You can read and speak Deep Speech.

Active Benefits
Beholderkin Eye Ray: Once per encounter, you can have the beholder shoot an eye ray as a minor action. The beholderkin deals 1d10 damage to a creature within 5 squares of it.
Roll 1d4 to determine the damage type: 1

13-04-2009 11:46:45
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
Check out the art of Monster Manual 2

Some recycled from one source of another, but overall I really like what I'm seeing.

18-05-2009 10:10:49
SageGenesis Offline

More 4th edition
[Image: news_20090519.jpg]

19-05-2009 23:55:58

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;