RE: What the papers say
Obama to take on the mauling mallard

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...ck/267071/
15-01-2013 23:48:04
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Met een Drone met Hellfire missiles lijkt het me niet heel uitdagend..

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
16-01-2013 11:39:31
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Online

New Mexico Bill Would Criminalize Abortions After Rape As 'Tampering With Evidence'

The Republicans are trying to beat the world record for evil again in 2013... Thankfully the bill is unlikely to pass.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
25-01-2013 13:56:27
nar Offline
Posting Freak

so maybe this belongs here?

'Longreads' are, apparently, long investigative articles and essays strewn about the Internet and NRC.nl has a section dedicated to 'em.

There's some interesting stuff in there. If you've got the time, give the list a gander and click a link or two.

Longreads :: nrc.nl

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
29-01-2013 12:25:38
SageGenesis Online

Ex-Cop declares war on LAPD

Pretty much what it says. Dorner, an ex-sniper cop, claims to have become so frustrated with corruption in the force, that he's now pretty much going to kill the LAPD and their families.

Which is pretty terrible.

What makes it worse is...

LAPD shoots innocents in their manhunt for Dorner.

You'd think this was from a movie, but no. This is really happening today.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
08-02-2013 00:00:57
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

And the manifesto.

Interessant ook om te zien hoe zeer hij 'belasterd' wordt door de media (en uiteraard de LAPD), terwijl ik veel comments langs zien komen van mensen die hem 'verdedigen' (niet goedkeuren dat hij aan het moorden is geslagen, maar wel de LAPD als grotere bedreiging zien).

Lijkt inderdaad op iets uit een film, en het zou best kunnen dat Dorner daar zijn inspiratie uit heeft gehaald.

De grote vraag die gesteld wordt. Is Dorner een gek met vaardigheden, of is zijn beslissing daadwerkelijk rationeel genomen?

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
08-02-2013 08:43:08
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nar Offline
Posting Freak

holy eff! Yikes

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
08-02-2013 09:49:02
nar Offline
Posting Freak

one of the latest articles on that NRC Longreads page concerns one man's investigation of whether Russia could (or will) fall apart. where do you go to find the answer? why, Siberia of course!

an evocative read.

Quote:Siberia: Shamans, Spies and the Secret Police

I realised almost immediately that Tuva was closer to the Russian equivalent of a Native American reservation. The capital, Kyzyl, is not a real city but a large wooden village hidden behind faintly utopian concrete boulevards. There is no railway. Most dwellings are clapboard cottages. The unpaved roads belong to wild dogs. The streets are filled with bedraggled beggars, thieving urchins and staggering drunks.

Kyzyl is a city scared of the dark. The locals are too frightened to walk the streets at night. Native Siberians, like the Australian Aborigines, have been disfigured, left almost demented, by Slavic drinking patterns their genetic make-up cannot cope with. They live with chronic "white fever", the violent, semi-hallucinogenic state which vodka stirs up in Siberia's indigenous tribes. It sends them into a trance completely unlinked to reality. Normally frigid and unable to show their emotions, "white fever" makes Tuvan men suddenly undress in the -30˚C snowdrifts, and blinds them to who they are with. Men knife their lovers and kill their best friends in a trance, only to sober up and howl. This is why nobody goes out after dusk.

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
08-03-2013 12:52:40
SageGenesis Online

The Worst Way To Defend Your Master's Dissertation

At a meeting at the university with Professor Graves and the course’s deputy director, Stephen Cayzer, the Chinese student was told that he could receive help in resubmitting his dissertation, appeal the mark, or accept it and withdraw from the course.

Mr Li said there was a fourth option. Placing £5,000 in cash on the table, he told Professor Graves: “I am a businessman.” When he was asked to leave, a loaded air pistol fell from his pocket.

On the bright side, his visa was extended by 12 months... with state-provided room and board.

06-05-2013 11:58:28
SageGenesis Online

Man kills himself inside Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris

Dominique Venner, a far right historian, Vichy apologist, former OAS member, radio presenter, traditionalist Catholic, anti-Muslim fearmonger, and opponent of equal marriage, has shot himself inside Notre Dame in Paris. It seems his suicide was a protest against the new equal marriage law.

Apparently he so much hated the fact that France recently adopted equal marriage legislation (aka "gay marriage"), that he had to "wake up the masses" and shotgun himself in the head.

Every human death is a tragedy.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

22-05-2013 00:42:02
SageGenesis Online

Vatican offers 'time off purgatory' to followers of Pope Francis tweets

Papal court handling pardons for sins says contrite Catholics may win 'indulgences' by following World Youth Day on Twitter

17-07-2013 12:48:49
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Like our Facebook page and win absolution!

17-07-2013 12:52:58
SageGenesis Online

Detroit files for bankruptcy protection

The city of Detroit filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in federal court Thursday, laying the groundwork for a historic effort to bail out a city that is sinking under billions of dollars in debt and decades of mismanagement, population flight and loss of tax revenue.

Well, just in time for OCP to start buying up the city I'd say...

19-07-2013 16:11:33
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

Sounds like a good idea! Wink

19-07-2013 17:17:08
SageGenesis Online

In other news: if a pregnant woman does cocaine, it has no noticeable effect on her offspring.

A study that started in the late '80s expected to find that so-called "crack babies" would have it pretty rough... but nope. Doing coke doesn't seem to matter for your baby. On the other hand, being poor certainly does.

27-07-2013 00:07:58
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

'It has no noticeable effect on the baby' is not what i get from this article, and id like to readthe actual study, but it seems to me the conclusion is: 'poverty has a greater effect on infants than in utero cocain seems to have. '

27-07-2013 08:10:14
SageGenesis Online

Apparently some photocopy machines are so bad at properly recognizing numbers, that they randomly substitute them.

For most of us on this forum this is at most an odd little factoid. But I know that right now there's notaries, companies, and governmental departments that are positively shitting themselves.

06-08-2013 02:43:18
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

Kids banned from talking about fracking, by court order

No, really, two kids, then aged 7 and 10, were given a lifelong ban on talking about fracking (and some other words related to that).

07-08-2013 10:03:12
SageGenesis Online

Read the story of how a guy gets arrested over 50 times for trespassing... while he's at work. Doing his job. Filling shelves at a little supermarket.

Basically this is the story of a police force so corrupt that if you'd put it in a movie, people would say it was too unrealistic.

22-11-2013 11:36:23
SageGenesis Online

Unarmed Man Is Charged With Wounding Bystanders Shot by Police Near Times Square

An unarmed, emotionally disturbed man shot at by the police as he was lurching around traffic near Times Square in September has been charged with assault, on the theory that he was responsible for bullet wounds suffered by two bystanders, according to an indictment unsealed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Wednesday.

Alternative article about the same case.

Remember kids, when cops resort to excessive force, it's always someone else's fault. Also known as the "baby who you got to make me hit you?" doctrine.

06-12-2013 17:26:16
SageGenesis Online

For those with interest in the subject.

Snowden (the NSA whistleblower guy) recently gave an interview for the ARD, the German broadcasting channel. You can see it here:

https://archive.org/details/snowden_interview_en

It's all in English, by the way.

29-01-2014 00:24:57
SageGenesis Online

Pro tip: don't build a house on God's bowling alley...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25975251

Make sure to scroll down to check where the second one ended up, as God was going for a spare.

02-02-2014 14:26:00
SageGenesis Online

Possibly one of the weirder headlines:

Homeopathy product recalled over fears it may contain actual medicine

Basically: their crap turns out to contain penicillin. Which can cause deadly allergic reactions in some people, so they probably shouldn't have tried to sell their wares as a non-medicine alternative thingie.

27-03-2014 21:38:27
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

Voor Sabrina.

http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/125580/polit...-ajax-fans

Blijkbaar was het gisteren toch niet zo rustig met die Ajax supporters als zij dacht Wink

14-04-2014 09:59:33
AlfaGirl Offline
Posting Freak

Huh... Heb die paarden wel her en der rond zien lopen ja, en er was wel wat gejoel en dergelijke op het station, maar het viel me nóg mee. Zal, achteraf gezien, wel meer een kwestie van timing geweest zijn...

"MacGyver" is the equivalent of Vulcan vintage human horror television.
14-04-2014 12:03:46

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;