[D&D] Fourth edition here
SageGenesis Offline

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome

May 2008. More news I'll provide when it becomes available. Confirmed so far:

* Tiefling as a new core race. One core race from 3e will be removed from core, but return in a later supplement (or through DnDInsider.com, more about that later). Confirmed races are human, dwarf, half-elf, elf, and halfling. So either the gnome or half-orc goes bye bye.

* Level spread increased from 1-20 to 1-30.

* Races provide more impact. As you gain levels you'll have the opportunity to gain newer or improved racial powers, just as your class would normally increase. Core philosophy: "race must matter at all levels".
(This is also a good way to handle powerful races for PCs. Just delay the really strong stuff until later.)

* Fighters get unique "powers" based upon the weapons they choose to focus on. Swords will have the widest selection of abilities, such as a chance to attack more often. Spears are said to be fast and have a chance to bypass armor. Ability scores are involved in this somehow. Intelligence or Charisma-based fighters will now be a real possibility, provided you pick the right weapon choice.

* Spellcasters still use rest to regain their mojo but have other methods at their disposal too, so they need to worry less about having wasted all their magic in a single encounter.

* Grapple rules simplified.

* DnDInsider.com replaces Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine for a fee of $10 a month. In addition this will feature online character generators, online tabletop with costumizable mini's for each character created (think Oblivion-style creation of details, including the stance your miniature is in), voicechat, and all other tools needed to play D&D online with other users. New material from the virtual magazine is not created by magazine writers but by the D&D design staff themselves, making them more balanced and canon.

* Talent trees used, as seen before in D20 Modern and Star Wars Saga. This means more costumizing and less "at level x you always get ability y".

* Design goal is characters who are less overloaded with magic items and buff spells 24/7.

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
16-08-2007 07:45:09
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

Open in new window for larger version.

[Image: DDcoverartcopy.jpg]

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
17-08-2007 12:34:20
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

Oh my Tyr, is D&D finally going to go over the threshold of the 80's?

This is looking mighty good. So good, in fact, that if they implement these things I can't keep hating it Yikes

robindevoh.com - NaNoWriMo prep & onwards, writin's the main topic.
17-08-2007 12:35:47
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

Various quotes from the designers' blogs. Illuminating.

[quote]James Wyatt -- And it is a rise, let me tell you. I'm so excited about Fourth Edition I can barely contain myself. Running the Delve in our booth yesterday was awkward

23-08-2007 11:26:42
SageGenesis Offline

The number of classes in the PHB has been revealed: 8

Confirmed are Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, and Rogue.
Highly likely are Ranger, Paladin, and Sorceror.
A screenshot of the online character generator reveals a "Warlord" class. Speculation is rampant.

Also confirmed as that each year WotC plans on releasing a new PHB, DMG, and MM. (So in 2009 we get PHB2, DMG2, and MM2. 2010 will have PHB3, DMG3, and MM3, etc.)

MM's will, obviously, hold more monsters for use.
PHB will have more races (like the gnome, which will almost certainly not make it in PHB1), classes, feats, spells, etc.
DMG will presumably have new traps, magic items, prestige classes (or their 4e equivalent), and other info.

23-08-2007 22:06:02
SageGenesis Offline

An example round in a high-level fight against a dragon. I really nasty one.

[quote]4th Edition dragons are among the most dynamic, exciting monsters in the game

23-08-2007 22:13:21
voh Online
Grandmaster Yogurt

Quote:Now the rogue moves around to flank with the fighter. Ordinarily, that would let the dragon use its tail slap again as an immediate action,
I think this is intriguing. It says "Ordinarily, another immediate action". Does that imply that immediate actions are like, a new, re-interpreted attack of opportunity? You interpret it as being a result of being placed under half your hitpoint total, but why would the rogue flanking him result in the same (if he hadn't used it on the fighter's hit)?

So far I'm liking it.

Not a big fan of the yearly updates. I wonder when they're going to shaft the gamer even more and make it a subscription deal Tongue

robindevoh.com - NaNoWriMo prep & onwards, writin's the main topic.
24-08-2007 00:43:45
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

Immediate actions aren't new, they already exist in 3.x, though not in the core rules. It goes a little something like this:
Swift actions are really quick, so you can always take one on your turn. But you only have a single swift action per round.
Immediate actions work like swift actions, except you don't have to use them on your turn. If you do though you can't use a swift action on your next turn though.

It's tail slap is explicitly mentioned as being able to lash out at the rogue. But not its claws. Or its bite. And not against the charging fighter. We don't know why yet. But this isn't a generic attack of opportunity, it seems unique to the tail slap ability; maybe it only works on attackers from behind, which makes sense, but it would mean that facing rules are re-introduced into the game.

The "half hitpoint" thing is tied to its breathweapon, not the tailslap, though that also used up an immediate action. It wasn't an attack of opportunity though. The reaction was to pain, not movement.

24-08-2007 00:52:45
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

it looks like they've got my attention.. may 2008 you say?
perhaps my current campaign will be done by then Smile maybe we could start a new 4th E Smile

"I think I'll have seconds.."

-Chronomangor; Eater of Time. ∞
24-08-2007 10:43:39
SageGenesis Offline

New update:

[quote]The year 2000 was a heady time for D&D players. 3rd edition was finally released after a year of previews. A game that had almost fallen off the radar of gamers everywhere came back with a bang. There was a tangible sense of energy in the air at Gen Con that year. People were excited about the toys they read about in their shiny new Player

27-08-2007 12:14:50
SageGenesis Offline

New update, this time not about mechanics but the basic concepts of the default D&D setting. I must say, I agree. Very... Iron Heroes. (Not surprising, given the fact that Mike Mearls made that and is now lead developer of 4e.) At the very least it provides good excuses for why the world has adventurers and all.

[quote]The Dungeons & Dragons game assumes many things about its setting: The world is populated by a variety of intelligent races, strange monsters lurk on other planes, ancient empires have left ruins across the face of the world, and so on. But one of the new key conceits about the D&D world is simply this: Civilized folk live in small, isolated points of light scattered across a big, dark, dangerous world.

Most of the world is monster-haunted wilderness. The centers of civilization are few and far between, and the world isn

29-08-2007 09:37:01
SageGenesis Offline

Tiefling!
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/fightrog.jpg

More tiefling!
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/tiefling.jpg

Female dwarf that actually looks pretty hot! Is that even possible?
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/dwarfwar.jpg

29-08-2007 09:38:31
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

I like I like lots

zeker dat setting verhaaltje

Licensed.
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2007 12:31:32 by Knightwood.)
30-08-2007 12:31:09
SageGenesis Offline

More art.

Human cleric.
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/4ecleric.jpg

Dwarves. The female, again, doesn't look bad at all. I like the look of their weapons (also the previous dwarf had a very angular weapon). Gives them a certain runic and geometric feel.
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/4edwarves.jpg

Halfling cleric. Not bad. Looks like he's actually dressed to adventure, without all the leather and buckles of 3e.
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/4ehalflingcleric.jpg

Beholder. Now more alien than ever.
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/beholder.jpg

Troll. Now more trollish than ever.
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/troll.jpg

Wizard. Now more World of Warcraft shoulderpads than ever. Smile
http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/elawiz.jpg

30-08-2007 13:37:30
SageGenesis Offline

From the blog of one of the designers.

Quote:Anyway, let me tell you what I've been up to since GenCon. In a word: monsters. The writing team (that's me, James Wyatt, Bruce Cordell, and Chris Sims) is working on fleshing out the Monster Manual entries and doing a bit of a "story" pass on the monsters. Last week I spent a couple of days working on devils. Here are a couple of devilish tidbits I'll leak for now:

- Devils are angels who rebelled. They rose up against the deity they served and murdered him. The crime of deicide is unimaginably perverse for angels, and hence devils were cursed and imprisoned in the Nine Hells.
- The Nine Hells are what became of the murdered deity's divine realm after his death. The Hells are the devils' prison, and it is difficult for them to get out without mortal aid.
- We've re-sorted demons and devils a bit, since we want these two categories of monsters to make a little more sense. Devils tend to be more humanoid in form, usually fight with weapons, and often wear armor. Most have horns, wings, and tails. One consequence of this: the erinyes and the succubus were holding down pretty similar territory, so we've decided that they're the same monster, called the succubus, and it's a devil.
- Ice devils don't look like other devils. We've decided that they are actually a demonic/yugoloth race... one that was entrapped by Mephistopheles long ago in an infernal contract. So ice devils hate other devils, retain their insect-like appearance, and have a special loyalty to Mephistopheles. It's one of the reasons why Asmodeus has never chosen to move against Mephistopheles. Asmodeus would of course win if he did, but that would let the ice devils out of their contract.

Anyway, that's the sort of stuff us story guys are working on. More later!

30-08-2007 18:51:54
SageGenesis Offline

Eladrin and Warforged races.
Second wind (seen before in Star Wars Saga).
Clear implication that natural 20's are always crits.
First official confirmation of the Warlord class.

[quote]We work hard at Wizards, but some of our work is all play. I recruited my gaming buddies to test the game further at home and to see what its like to DM with the new rules. The players got to test the character side of things, and I got to experience adventure building and monsters.

My players like a reason to adventure together beyond being mutually employed by the same bloke who relies on the local watering hole to hire mercenaries. So they created a mostly human party of 1st level PCs who are all affiliated with a local count. The warlord, Domna, is the baron

31-08-2007 08:28:15
SageGenesis Offline

Character roles and bards.

[quote]Let me tell you about my character, Nils, and how he contributed a few grace notes to 4th Edition

31-08-2007 08:29:14
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

Haha cool! ben heel erg benieuwd naar de bard Tongue

04-09-2007 12:02:05
SageGenesis Offline

Everybody's favorite race: elves.

[quote]A thousand birdsongs resound through the cool depths of the primeval forest. These ancient, virgin, and primary woodlands have never felt the metallic sting of axe or the unnatural heat of fire stoked so hot it burns more than detritus and undergrowth. Living, bark-wrapped pillars hold aloft layers upon layers of mounting canopy that filters the high sunlight through more hues of emerald and gold that could ever be imagined.

The secrets of the deep, old woods are closely guarded, and few know of the many wild things that walk amid the shadowed boles. Silver stags, wise hares, unicorns, butterflies the size of hawks, and tree owls who

06-09-2007 01:30:23
SageGenesis Offline

[quote]Magic saturates the world and all the extraordinary realms beyond the world. Magic is an intrinsic force present in literally all things. Magic transforms and alters the natural world, sometimes actively and suddenly, other times subtly and over long centuries.

This arcane energy source is difficult to understand and even tougher to master. Those who do so through years of study, practice, and apprenticeship to accomplished masters are called wizards.

Wizards wield arcane magic. Wizards recognize reality for what it is: a thin veneer of structure supported and energized by a force that is ultimately changeable, to those who know its secrets. Thus wizards research esoteric rituals that allow them to alter time and space, hurl balls of fire that incinerate massed foes, and wield spells like warriors brandish swords. They call upon arcane strikes, power words, and spells to unleash raging torrents of cold, fire, or lighting, confuse and enthrall the weak-minded, or even turn invisible or walk through walls.

What sets wizards apart from others who attempt to wield arcane magic are wizards

17-09-2007 10:42:51
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

klinkt goed Smile

17-09-2007 11:02:40
SageGenesis Offline

Interesting. The article above has been changed, something WotC normally never does. Presumably it was based on an older version that has since been superseded.

The most interesting changes:
* Tomes are gone.
* Several arcane traditions are mentioned, using a naming scheme that very much resembles those used in the Book of Nine Swords (ie. the stuff that Brianna uses, for those who play in our Iron Kingdoms game).

[quote]Magic saturates the world and all the extraordinary realms beyond the world, an intrinsic force present in literally all things. Magic transforms and alters the natural world, sometimes actively and with sudden effect, other times subtly and over long centuries.

This arcane energy source is difficult to understand and even tougher to master. Wizards do so through years of study, practice, and apprenticeship to accomplished masters.

Wizards wield arcane magic, and they recognize reality for what it is: a thin veneer of structure supported and energized by a force that is ultimately malleable, to those who know its secrets. Though research and study, wizards learn esoteric rituals that allow them to alter time and space, hurl balls of fire that incinerate massed foes, and wield spells like warriors brandish swords. They call upon lesser and greater spells to unleash raging torrents of cold, fire, or lightning, confuse and enthrall the weak-minded, or even turn invisible or walk through walls.

What sets wizards apart from others who wield arcane magic are wizards

17-09-2007 22:46:39
SageGenesis Offline

Minor update: Chris Perkins has stated in his blog that the Warlock class will definitely be in the PHB. That would bring the total to:
Fighter, Wizard, Warlock, Warlord, Cleric, Rogue. (With Ranger and Paladin being the most likely other two.)

For those unfamiliar with this class, it first appeared in Complete Arcane and had a small selection of magic powers which he could use at will, with no hassle about preparing or running out of uses per day. Their chief ability is an arcane blast that does 1d6/2 levels as a ranged touch attack, possibly upgraded with additional effects through their selected powers (like causing fear, modifying the ray into a cone, and so on).

In this regard it's like an even more extreme version of the Sorceror; unlimited power, but not as flexible as the Wizard who can potentially learn an unlimited amount of spells.

21-09-2007 00:36:20
SageGenesis Offline

More on demons and devils.

[quote]In the real world, "demon" is synonymous with "devil." "Abyss" and "hell" have a similar relationship. D&D designers have struggled with these facts since 1977 when the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game depicted demons and devils, the Abyss and the Nine Hells. The original basis for the division was alignment. Aligned planes existed to provide a meaningful afterlife for similarly aligned characters, and a need to fill those planes with natives resulted in demons being distinct from devils. As the game evolved, the original division remained, but too many similarities persisted. The advent of 4th Edition lets us accentuate the differences between the two primary species of fiends.

Throughout demons' and devils' existence in the D&D game, resemblances between them have been stronger and more numerous than differences. Both species are extraplanar forces of evil that seek souls to supplement their numbers. Each breed has wretched and implike creatures at the bottom of the hierarchy and godlike archfiends at the top. Each member of both species has a wide array of similar (and often superfluous) supernatural powers. Most demons and devils are superior to members of typical PC races in every way, including incredible intelligence. Their purposes in the material world have always been similar.

In the original AD&D Monster Manual, Gary Gygax admitted that devils

25-09-2007 16:34:34
JLT* Offline
Posting Freak

is this very different from the way it was? I've always seen it like the destroying monstrous demons versus the conniving calculating devils..
whether those guys are at war or not makes little difference for the mortal working in the field Wink

26-09-2007 11:12:46

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;