[Star*Drive] Saturday night
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Righto. In Jasper's absence and Knightwood, Mel and Wolfy's enthusiasm I decided to fire up the ol' Alternity engine once more. By popular demand, the course was set for the Verge: the Star*Drive campaign setting!

Time frame: Ideally once every week.
Players: As of yet Mel, Wolfy and Scroipt. Knightwood is expected.

First session was Saturday the 5th of November.
Wolfy showed up on time, after my receiving a call from Scroipt 'whether there was anything fun going on at my place'. So I invited him and he decided to give it a shot. Scroipt and Mel arrived an hour late.
Character creation was begun, with the following parameter: an adventurer from the Stellar Ring, with the prospect of a new life in the Verge.
Wolfy created an Austrin-Ontis gun merchant with a knack for showing off his wares (Combat Spec),
Mel created a Solar socialite who wants to carve out his own niche in society (Diplomat - Free Agent),
Scroipt created a Borealin generalist techmonkey with a huge amount of (broad-)skills (Tech Op).
All characters started off at 3rd level.

The scene opened at the docking station of the NSS Community, a rusty Soviet-style space liner, in the Kendai system. NSS Community was scheduled to piggyback along with the CSV Ironside, a Concord dreadnought, to the Verge, to bring the fortune hunters from the Old Worlds to this rediscovered frontier. Suffice to say the PCs are among them.
The gunrunner immediately ran into some trouble with the Nariac docking officer as he wanted to bring along some 'samples'. There is no love lost between Nariacs and A-O, after all. After some cajoling, the 'samples' were put into the cargo hold.
So, the odyssey began. The first weeks of the journey were uneventful, safe on the back of the CSV Ironside. The PCs amused themselves with making friends and drinking copious amounts of crappy Nariac Synthale. Even though the TechOp (as of yet unnamed..) and the Diplomat (Jin) occupied 3rd class berths most time was spent in the 2nd class bar. A good, if predictable time was had by all. Jin's quest to find people to aid him in his future endeavours led him into contact with the Austrin and the Borealin.
Upon detaching from CSV Ironside, the first portents appeared. At the first attempt at starfall, a power outage occured. Artificial gravity and life support was temporarily lost but soon restored. The crew remained stoic and urged calmness. A few minutes later, NSS Community starfell in the direction of Aegis, the final destination.
121 hours later, the intrepid heroes were somewhat on edge, aware of the fact something might just not have worked the way it should have. Some precautions were taken; vacuum masks within reach and glowsticks in boots. Mr A-O was actually 'conveniently' passing his assigned escape pod. They were about to be proven right in their suspicions.
Starrise occurred on schedule.
A momentous impact happened not so much on schedule, a few seconds after starrise.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2005 03:17:59 by wolfy.)
07-11-2005 03:01:27
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SageGenesis Offline

Sounds interesting enough so far. We want more!

What you need to understand about the apocalypse is that you aren't Mad Max. You're part of the skull pyramid in the background.
08-11-2005 13:08:29
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

thats right! it was horrible, tell us the rest of the story! (we did not really roll play the horror, we should, but hey life sucks)

Licensed.
08-11-2005 13:30:20
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Forewarned by their paranoia, the PC's were the first to make it to the assigned escape pod. Shortly after, chaos erupted on the ship and throngs of people started scrambling, ...uh, floating, to the escape pods. Meanwhile, the anxious heroes saw through the observation pane of the pod the red glare of a fire caused by the explosion.
Expedience was deemed necessary and when the pod had reached it's allowed allotment of refugees, they blast off. They were the first to do so.
Apparently, they were also to be the last. Aghast, the abysmal quality of the pods (beside quantity: there were far too few pods to begin with), of obviously inferior Nariac manufacture, commented the Austrin, dawned on the heroes. Their pod, however, appeared to be fully funtional.
The pod had the follwing ameneties:
-Thrust for 40 hours: 20 acceleration, 20 deceleration.
-Oxygen for several weeks.
-A water purifier.
-Rations for a few days (you don't starve all that quickly and if you do you can always eat your fellow passengers, reasoned the Nariacs).
-A very flimsy jumpsuit.
-An airlock.
-A crappy scanner device.
-A radio.
-Power for it all.
First, the damage to the NSS Communty was assessed. A gaping hole in the upper starboard flank was spotted; it was hard to miss. Apparently the bridge and the Star*Drive were gone, thereby rendering the passenger ship useless for escape.
Then, care had to be taken to avoid whatever it was caused the disaster. The scanner showed numerous small bodies in the vicinity. Closer examination revealed them to be in a regular pattern, showing a few holes and ending after a few Mm. The conclusion that the power outage had caused an error in the astrogation module was easily made, and seemingly the Community starfell into a minefield! Now, of course, the dilemma was how to get the hell out of there, back to someplace capable of sustaining life for more than a few weeks...
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2005 03:25:17 by wolfy.)
08-11-2005 16:56:45
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

Of course we didn't roleplay the horror. Why should we? We are the heroes, the people who can fix any problem. The GM would never kill our characters... Wink.

And besides, my character is confident in his own abilities to protect himself. And after spending weeks with both your and Marks character, I'm pretty sure he is confident in your abilities as well. He just has a very healthy paranoia towards Nariac made stuff. And a healthy hostility towards Nariacs Tongue.

About my character, I'll let him introduce himself now.

Howdy, my name is Joshua Sterling. Just Sterling for the people I deal with, and just Josh for friends. If your neither, well, good luck becoming a friend.
For the ladies reading here, I'm about 6 feet tall, pretty darn good looking if I say so myself. Not too hunky, but no pushover either. Brown short cropped hair, steel gray eyes, and from a small planet in Austrin-Auntis Unlimited space.
What I do for a living you ask... Well, most people would just call me an arms dealer, but I do so much more then that. I sell confidence, and the means to back that confidence up. The weapons are just there to insure that people indeed have a reason to be confident.

So no, I don't just sell weapons, the weapons are just a means to survive, and the weapons are important. But the feeling secure is much more important. And I firmly believe in the fact that once you've sold weapons to someone, they will be less inclined to use to weapons on you. So I'm also selling my own insurance.

Now, GM, get on with the story telling, because you still haven't reached the point where we're now.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
09-11-2005 12:53:20
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

So, there the PC's were, stuck in a minefield in the vastnessof space, with no way to leave.
The bright idea of looking around for other victims of the minefield was uttered. A scan was made and indeed, there was something in the place where a mine should be that was much larger than a mine. It was duly investigated, after properly scavenging useful bits from the Community's cargo hold.
The thing-that-wasn't-a-mine turned out to be a thoroughly holed, but not wrecked, corvette-class ship. Esuits were donned and it was investigated. The PCs stumbled upon a number of dead bodies in Esuits, presumably having run out of oxygen.
As to the ship, the diagnosis was established quickly. The starboard mass reactor was a site of frenzied repair attempts. Unfortunately for the previous owners, unsuccesful attempts: a vital part was missing, a high-capacity plasma conduit. It was quickly decided that it should be procured from the wreckage of the Community, as the Star*Drive of the smaller ship looked perfectly OK, as did most other vital parts. Except for the power plants, that is.
The part was procured, along with a cubic meter of ethanol for entertainment, and repairs were begun.
With the power restored, some data about the ship was acquired: it was the PCZSS Plauton, a Corvette-class gunboat of the Pioneer Coprosperity Zone, a long-defunct stellar nation, lost in the mists of GW2. The damage to the ship was extensive: of its four engines, only one was functional. Its main armament, a plasma torpedo launcher, was wrecked. A significant part of the vessel's internal structure was exposed to space. Still, it had a working Star*Drive. And a working mass reactor, just as essential.
However, the mass reactor's fuel was dwindling and therefore the range of starfall limited. The only target within reach was a promising but, according to their data, uninhabited system: Strome. As being in a star system is infinitely better than hanging around in a minefield in the middle of unimaginable nowhere no-one ever checks up on (Plauton had been lying around for more than a century), heading to Strome seemed the wisest choice. So, after drinking themselves into a comatose stupor, starfall was mode in the direction of Strome, hoping for the best.
After a few dull days, the PCs looked intently at the sensors at the moment of starrise.To their infinite joy, they saw much activity.

Thus ended session one.
13-11-2005 03:21:13
wolfy Online
Posting Freak

First off, get your lazy arse behind that computer, and write a story about the next 2 playing sessions!!

Secondly, since there is much to do before I can safely install myself in my own home. And because most of that will have to be done in the weekends, I would like to propose to play in the evening until said that where I will be safely installed, and most (hopefully even all) work has been done.

That way I can still enjoy the roleplaying, and also get my home in order Smile.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Shusen.net weblog like thingie Smile.
01-12-2005 12:49:09
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

The idea was, and always has been, to play during the evenings.
And I will write when I have time and inclination to do so. Given the fact that I have just received my new laptop, likely not today.
03-12-2005 15:19:59
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Time for some buttkicking updates for goodness.

Session two.

Upon having entered the Strome system, the Plauton was immediately and hostilely hailed: "This is captain Thornton of the SSN Leopard. Identify yourself or prepare to be fired upon." Jin blusteringly blurt out something about being the PCZSS Plauton and being very damned lucky to even be in this system, and very non-piratey in a decidedly unviolent manner. And having no functional guns. And no Star*Drive capability, either.
Hearing this, the much-relieved captain Thornton offered his apologies and a tugging to Myriad, the spaceport on the moon of Orb.
After a good chuckling at the number of holes in good ol' Plauton, the situation was explained by both sides. The protagonists told their story, listened to with much interest by numerous uninvited listeners and captain Thornton.
Then captain Thornton told the story of Strome.

Strome could be called the dustbin of the galaxy. Throughout human history, there have been outcasts. In the age of stellar empires it could be hard to properly get away and for many the Verge was the only way out. When the Verge was just opened, a group of particularly daring and desperate settlers cum adventurers shanghaied a heavy transport, leap-frogging to the verge, just hoping they would come across a habitable system. Lady Luck smiled upon these refugees and led them across Strome. August 12, 2338 was the day the sensor readings showed at least one of the six planets to be class 1.
It was christened Convention and settling began immediately.
The settlers came from all over the galaxy, but mostly from the more repressive stellar nations: pacifist Thuldans, free-spirited VoidCorp Employees, spacy Solars and individualist Nariacs numbered high among them, but no stellar nation wasn't represented. Before finally leaving old space, the fleet had grown to about 12 vessels, of which one colony ship, so the expedition was fairly well-equipped though somewhat overpopulated.
Unsupported by any stellar nation, Strome grew on its own, forgotten by Old Space and mostly ignored by the rest of the Verge. It became fully self-substantial as a matter of course. The refugees didn't want to be dependent on anyone. Generations passed until 2466, then the first driveship since 72 years fell into Strome.
Strome had developed into a bustling interplanetary community, with the ability to produce the equivalent of PL6 technology. The scout was scared out of its wits. Strome had literally been forgotten. The rumor spread, but not to everywhere and to some wrong people.
A powerful Verge pirate lord, not yet strong enough to tackle a supported system but happy to have found an isolated system gathered his fleet to harass Strome. (Hellis pirates after beaten by Aegis.)
The first raids were successful, but then resistance stiffened. As the final pirate attack was launched, the pirate lord suddenly found a full-size patched Solar cruiser patrolling the system alongside the Stromeans. The pirates' defeat was quick and bloody.

This particular cruiser, captain Thornton explained, was the very ship to utter the death-threats they received after starrise and the very vessel theirs shared the tarmac of Myriad with. Yes, that old, battered, patched, heavily armed chunk of rusty alloy, yes. Very functional, thank you very much, owing to the Grav-Fusion cells that could be replenished by the fusion engineers of Strome.
He told them he was its captain (and presumably still is).
The reason the Plauton was threatened was the fact that the pirates had recently come back, wisely staying far out of the reach of the Leopard's short but powerful arm of Gauss cannons.

The PC's vowed to help the Stromeans out, if only because there was no way to sod off to anywhere else anyway (as Strome did not have the ability to produce Dark Matter fuel for the Mass Reactors, also keeping the Leopard systembound).
11-12-2005 03:41:00
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Session 3.

After a good drinking binge and the identification of a fellow Escape Pod escapee as a valuable and Mechalus engineer (no mistaking the PC-halo, there!), Janjo's as yet unnamed character, the planning stage of subduing the pirates was undertaken.
The deal was the PC's would help Strome, and as such be enlisted into the Stellar Navy of Strome for the duration (i.e. until they could get their destitute asses out of there).
Good use would be made of the shoddy, near-wrecked appearance (and status, really) of the Plauton. They would lure the pirates near, impersonating a recently starrisen ship in desperate need of aid. A gun-running ship in desperate aid, actually. The hold would be crammed full with marines and the Leopard would stand ineffectively by. They should be boarded, whereupon the marines would descend on the offending pirates, silencing them by means of fast-flying bits of metal in personal range.
The recently-starrisen bit was realised by a one-shot (but rechargeable) tachyon-emitting device, simulating the signature of a starrise.
Tasks were assigned: Jin as commander, [Mark] as Sensors dude, Joshua as Weapons Officer but in this particular case as marine leader and [Janjo] as engineer.
The marines were under the command of Thornton's second in command, Lieutenant Pullings, a scarred battle veteran so Joshua was made squad leader.

The plan was put into action. Plauton moved to the edge of the system and detonated the tachyon-thingy. Pretty much immediately, a pirate ordered them to stand down and prepare to be towed. "If you have any escape pods, now would be a good time to use them and save your life." The characters pretended to have stuffed their escape pod room with valuables.
This was largely irrelevant as the pirates, one cutter and two fighters, started towing the Plauton toward a large, unmoving object that had just opened its cargo bay doors.
Plauton simply vanished inside. The tachyon readers, still on from checking that the simulating device worked, detected the telltale signature of starfall of a large object.
Bingo.

A wave of marines swarmed through the cargo hold, through the shoddily constructed hangar and through the command compartments of the freighter they had been abducted in. Upon starrise in the middle of nowhere and after waiting for the Star*Drive to reload (using their time usefully putting the freighter's Fabrication Facility to work on repairing the Plauton) they jumped right back to Strome, there received with a heroes' welcome. And the promise of repair of the Plauton, reasonable now the FTL capability of Star*Drive equipped ships had been renewed by the Dark Matter fuel from the captured freighter.
There was much rejoicing and copious amounts of liquor.

The PCs spent their 'service time' to Strome relaxing poolside on Bead, the agricultural planet of Strome, run by enterprising Hatire colonists.
Meanwhile, Leopard and the captured freighter travelled to Aegis.

The heroes' reveries and financial calculations (during which it appeared their ship would cost them a fortune in upkeep and crew cost) were rudely interruped by a call on them as system defenders, defending the helpless mining vessels of Strome from a menace of an Unidentified Spacefaring Object in the outer asteroid belt, detected by a uncharacteristically vigilant miner.
11-12-2005 04:05:26
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

I would like to invite the players to write their characters; vision of the events up to now, so we can continue telling you the asskicking story of some weirdos on a spaceship!
16-05-2006 21:50:57
Jazzper-11 Offline
Posting Freak

and then all was silent... =)

World's biggest squirrel!
23-06-2007 13:27:38
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Silent as the blackness of Drivespace.

Then the zombies attacked! Yarr!
25-06-2007 09:06:56
Jazzper-11 Offline
Posting Freak

Oddman Wrote:Then the zombies attacked! Yarr!
Yarr? zombie pirates? hmmm... this could work... Wink

28-06-2007 13:18:43
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

a DOUBLE Themed party, awesome!, that sounds like us!

Licensed.
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2007 21:14:50 by Knightwood.)
29-06-2007 21:14:27
Jazzper-11 Offline
Posting Freak

Also, I should think of a way to throw ninja's in the mix. Everything's better with ninja's...

03-07-2007 18:09:47

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;