Balkenende IV: De Gratis Schoolboeken
scroipt Offline
Posting Freak

De Gratis Schoolboeken

Tijdens de campagnes voor de Tweede Kamerverkiezingen van 22 november jl. kwam, schijnbaar uit het niets, de suggestie om schoolboeken voor het voortgezet onderwijs (VO) gratis te maken. Nu zijn intussen de formatiebesprekingen afgerond en het nieuwe kabinet stond afgelopen donderdag op het bordes, nu rest enkel nog de vraag wat is er daadwerkelijk besloten is over die gratis schoolboeken?

Het coalitieakkoord van Balkenende IV [1] besteedt er twee regels aan:

Quote:Schoolboeken in het voortgezet onderwijs worden gratis. Financiering zal plaatsvinden via de lump-sum bekostiging.
Al voor de jongste verkiezingen heeft onze toenmalige volksvertegenwoordiging het Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap (OCW) verzocht de mogelijkheden voor het gratis maken van schoolboeken te verkennen met het oog op implementatie in het aankomende schooljaar 2007-2008 [2b]. Dit gericht op lastenverlichting van ouders met kinderen in het voortgezet onderwijs. De minister heeft op 4 december aan de tweede kamer gehoor gegeven d.m.v. een plan van aanpak [2a].

Plan van aanpak

Het plan houdt in dat de gehele kosten van de schoolboeken in een keer overgemaakt zouden worden aan de desbetreffende scholen zodat deze dan de schoolboeken kunnen regelen voor hun eigen scholieren. Dit zou behalve de verlaging van de schoolkosten voor ouders ook nog andere voordelen hebben [2a]:

Quote:1. Betere marktwerking op de educatieve boekenmarkt:
- Door de boeken door scholen te laten betalen, wordt bereikt dat degene die bepaalt ook betaalt. (...)
- Scholen staan als blok sterker tegenover educatieve uitgeverijen dan individuele ouders.
2. Een eind maken aan het verschijnsel dat kinderen zonder boeken op school komen, doordat hun ouders geen schoolboeken aanschaffen.
Momenteel wordt voor elk kind betaald wat voorgeschreven wordt door de school. Uitgevers hebben dus niet te maken met ouders, want die bepalen niet wat zij zelf kopen. Als een uitgever een boek wil verkopen zal dit toch moeten gaan in overleg met de school, dus scholen staan al

`Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là' --Pierre-Simon, Marquis de Laplace
26-02-2007 20:16:40
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nar Offline
Posting Freak

when i first came in contact with Dutch highschool kids, i was amazed to see what their schoolbooks looked like; modern, shiny, new, filled with up to date information and relativly free of vandalism. where i come from, things aren't quite the same.

each year, at the beginning of every class, there's a stack of textbooks waiting to be handed out to each student. the piles are shabby; the book's covers are frayed, their spines broken, torn, in some cases only barely still associating themselves with the pages sandwiched between the (in some cases) heavily vandalized front and back covers. inside, the reader is privvy to previous owners ideas regarding important, (and thus underlined), passages, dirty jokes, swear words and funny games like "turn to page 36...47...99...haha look, this goes nowhere". each book had a stamp on the inside of the front cover, where the students could write their name and class. in some cases classmates could find their father's or mother's name amongst the previous owners of our books.

things were most scandalous in chemestry class, where the textbook was so out of date, that one of the teachers took it upon himself to write a new text book, complete with exercise material, for my year.

as more and more budget cuts were made to education in the province of Ontario, schools had to make hard choices; do we spend the money that we have on keeping the building liveable, or do we finally get new books this year? during the three and a half years of Canadian highschool i participated in, i never saw a single new textbook, (the chemistry book being the only exception to that).

ignoring the further ramafications of the time and manpower (= money) that schools are going to have to invest deciding where and how the curriculum is to be changed, i cannot see that allowing the schools to take care of the student's schoolbooks is an improvement in the educational system. whilst the system doesn't quite work in the same manner as it did in Canada, i forsee a similar situation arising; it's all very fine and good to buy new books every year, but it would be much easier (= cheaper) for everyone involved if the schools were to eventually just have a supply of books that they re-use every year. the government will then allow the schools an amount of money every X number of years to replace damaged texts, which will of course get smaller and smaller, (or at least the buying power of that money will shrink), as the government cuts into the education budget, (as governments tend to do when they need cash fast). this supply of books with become more and more fucked up each year, as they are only school property, (not, for instance, books rented by your parents , who will take the costs of damaged books out of your hide), and really, who gives a damn about school property anyway?

the terribly sad thing is, is that there are politicians out there who think they've just done something great for the people.

perhaps i'm being overly cynical. i hope this is the case, because i really did love the quality of Dutch highschool textbooks. it would be a crying shame to see what i consider to be one of the few reasons to put a child through highschool here to disappear because a bunch of fatcats (for whom i wasn't allowed to vote for anyway) wanted to pull a few more votes.

raptor magnificus
- - - - - -
i am a motherfucking ray of goddamn sunshine, i am.
(This post was last modified: 27-02-2007 09:55:35 by SageGenesis.)
27-02-2007 09:53:51
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

Great essay.
Did you write it, Scroipzor?

Interesting points are raised. Thing is, it is just a way of redistributing funds: centralising something that is decentralised at the moment.
Reasons to centralise:
-Free market does not work (like with energy nets or public transportation)
-Centralisation can accomplish something the free market can't, such as forcing educational publishers to publish something else, or rescuing people who can't afford something.
-Doing something centrally saves money.

On the whole, in this case only the third point could possibly hold true. The free market works just fine, people who can't afford books are being helped ([quote]Momenteel wordt er via de Wet tegemoetkoming onderwijsbijdrage en schoolkosten (WTOS)
27-02-2007 11:33:00
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scroipt Offline
Posting Freak

@Oddman: Yes, I did.

As you said, Nar:

nar Wrote:things were most scandalous in chemestry class, where the textbook was so out of date, that one of the teachers took it upon himself to write a new text book, complete with exercise material, for my year.
This is by no means unique. I have seen a number of such cases myself (in my capacity as a remedial teacher). This would indicate that the amount of bookfunding in the Netherlands is, in my opinion, too low, and I agree wholeheartedly in additional funds for schooling. It is, however, the misquided plan of how to spend the alotted funds that confuses and enrages me. I see no benefits to this plan to the brink of a negative expectation value. I see those who need support losing out, I see additional administrative overhead and a narrowing of the (sorry Nar) already narrow and shallow secondary school book market.

I would like to encourage those with another vision (however slight) to please enlighten me.

`Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là' --Pierre-Simon, Marquis de Laplace
01-03-2007 22:56:54
(me) Melchior Offline
Posting Freak

ik snap het niet helemaal,
het plan is specifiek niet om al het les matriaal te dekken alleen de boeken
waarom moet dan de medezeggenschapsraad weg? ik snap ook niet dat de meeste scholen in a zal belanden en to be honest i think buying new books each year is just decadent.

Licensed.
02-03-2007 08:33:05
scroipt Offline
Posting Freak

(me) Melchior Wrote:ik snap het niet helemaal,
het plan is specifiek niet om al het les matriaal te dekken alleen de boeken
waarom moet dan de medezeggenschapsraad weg? ik snap ook niet dat de meeste scholen in a zal belanden en to be honest i think buying new books each year is just decadent.
Ten eerste, de medezeggeschapsraad hoeft niet weg, maar volgens huidige wetgeving heeft deze de laatste zeg over een ouderbijdrage. Dus in plaats van verplicht het door de school aangewezen boekenpakket aanschaffen, moeten ouders niet langer iets betalen en heeft de school (gemiddeld) genoeg voor 83% van de lesmaterialen. De overige 17% ligt dus aan de medezeggeschapsraad.

Vervolgens gaat het hier om het gemiddelde. Als men aanneemt dat elke medegezzeschapsraad instemt met een bijdrage van

02-03-2007 12:26:40
mirla Offline
Posting Freak

Alleen even reageren op de zin: "De verdere notie dat kinderen door onwil van ouders geen boeken hebben is in mijn ervaring nooit voorgekomen."

Dit komt heel veel voor. Inderdaad bar weinig op scholengemeenschappen in het Gooi. Maar bijvoorbeeld de zwarte VMBO school in Amsterdam waar mijn moeder werkt is toch een ander verhaal.
16-07-2008 11:11:21
scroipt Offline
Posting Freak

Het kan zijn ik wat dit onderwerp betreft een enigszins vertekend beeld heb; maar dit betreft (slechts) een administratief probleem. Een ouder is (volgens vorige regeling) wel degelijk verplicht om boeken te regelen voor zijn of haar kinderen. Mocht een ouder niet genoeg inkomen hebben waren hier voorzieningen voor; wellicht niet toereikend, maar dan is dat het probleem. Hoe de gratis schoolboeken-regeling nu staat worden die ouders die tegemoetkomingen ontvangen voor hun kinderen met diezelfde

16-07-2008 16:26:49
Oddman Offline
Posting Freak

scroipt Wrote:[...], niet allerminst omdat de Nederlandse boekenmarkt als geheel een niet-vrije is.
Fixed your typo.
16-07-2008 17:54:40
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
float: right;